Thread: LogMeIn Review

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default LogMeIn Review

LogMeIn is a software/service that allows you to remotely control your computers from other computers, anywhere on the Internet. Great for accessing your work computer, or to provide IT support for friends/family.

After using VNC for years, I recently moved several of the computers I support to LogMeIn. There's a free version, and the viewer works within your browser. The software works through firewalls with zero configuration, which is a big plus when you want to remote to several computers behind the same NAT router.

I've connected to Macs, XP PCs, and Windows 2003 Servers with no problem (and I'm excited to hear that an iPhone client is in beta).

Anyway, highly recommended.

Linked
    Last edited by Canuck; 11-20-2008 at 02:09 PM.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

i'd like to confirm this software also works flawlessly (so far) in vista too (1yr+)

NM

I use both LogMeIn and UltraVNC (the latter either via VNC viewer or browser) but with LogMeIn (free), one gets disconnected during a coffee break. Don't you have the same experience, Osc and Mr Darn, or do I need to switch to tea?

Otherwise LogMeIn is good although I find it takes longer to access remote machine.

Norbert

I have used both Logmein and Crossloop many times, find Crossloop faster to connect, but then Logmein is not slow. I have never been disconnected from either when drinking tea or coffee or even Scotch!

NM

Quote Originally Posted by tallin View Post
    I have used both Logmein and Crossloop many times, find Crossloop faster to connect, but then Logmein is not slow. I have never been disconnected from either when drinking tea or coffee or even Scotch!
    ....maybe it depends on the brand???

Tallin, are you using the free version of LogMeIn? I haven't used LogMeIn (free) for a while now but seem to remember getting a message along the lines of "no activity or timed out" after the disconnect and I never figured out if, or where I can change the time-out setting.

Oh, and an other reason I don't use LogMeIn much anymore is due to the fact that the free version doesn't allow for file transfers which is a snap with UltraVNC.

The biggest advantage with LogMeIn is the ease of logging on to remote machines whereas UVNC is a little more complex to get up-and-running if one has a dynamic IP address plus one has to forward ports and preferably change the LAN IP from automatically assigned to a specific address. Little things that a lot of people don't feel comfortable doing.

Norbert

with me and logme in, i simply use my 2 hotmail accounts, and transfer files that way, signing into one account on the host machine, and the other on the slave.

i also use the free version.

personally, i dont stay connected during breaks, as i dont see the need to be connected any longer than nesessary.

when i do the maintanance on my familys computers, i simply set the scans away, disconnect and move onto the next pc. then i go back later to check on it.

it would be much more inconvenient for me to actually go to each house to do this, so i see it as a godsend!

Quote Originally Posted by NM View Post
    ....maybe it depends on the brand???

Tallin, are you using the free version of LogMeIn? I haven't used LogMeIn (free) for a while now but seem to remember getting a message along the lines of "no activity or timed out" after the disconnect and I never figured out if, or where I can change the time-out setting.

Oh, and an other reason I don't use LogMeIn much anymore is due to the fact that the free version doesn't allow for file transfers which is a snap with UltraVNC.

The biggest advantage with LogMeIn is the ease of logging on to remote machines whereas UVNC is a little more complex to get up-and-running if one has a dynamic IP address plus one has to forward ports and preferably change the LAN IP from automatically assigned to a specific address. Little things that a lot of people don't feel comfortable doing.

Norbert
    NM,

When ever I use any remote service, whether it be Logmein, or Crossloop, I always have the client on Skype so we actually talk at the same time as I am helping them. That way I can show/tell them exactly what I am about to do to their machine and have a social chat when the business side of things is over.

Yes, I agree the free version runs/times out after a certain number of connections, but the way around that is to give the client my access number to the software installed then client and I can connect as normal.

Transferring files - I do via email or as MrDarn explained in the previous post. Yahoo Messenger is also good for this as you can talk and transfer files at the very same time as helping the client via the remote software.

NM

I suppose preference is often determined by habit. I have been using UltraVNC a number of years before I even heard of LogMeIn, so I have grown accustomed to the former.

Re file transfers, yes, I see how Tallin and MrDarn found a solution via email but don't you or receiver have limitations as to size of file(s)? I may, for example, need to transfer 5 files/documents of 5 megs each or in case of a particular data file, 65 megs. I have never tried to see if that would work with my ISP's mail server but have my doubts.

Don't get me wrong, LogMeIn is a great program and due to it's simplicity in installation I can see its advantages over VNC if you want or need to help remote users or if large file transfers is not a requirement.

Norbert

its not using the mail system i use, its the instant message transfer, and i've transfered a short film that way of about 15 minutes. not sure of the file size tho.

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

LogMeIn released an iPhone app today - I have a review here:
    Help2Go - free computer help and advice - LogMeIn Ignition for iPhone Review
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go