Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avast Review

Default Avast Review

Avast!

i've been perfectly happy with it since the day i first discovered it!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Does Avast scan e-mail? If so, it may have a convert.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Avast! supports Outlook and Outlook Express, but cannot currently scan POP mail that is SSL or TSL encrypted without the addition of other programs. Details here.

it isn't just AVG that is the problem, even if you have the best anti virus program out there, some can still get in to your computer through any file, even, on Firefox, same thing,,,there are so many ways to get in these days...so, to me, having the best of best anti virus programs still does not prevent hackers....I personally think Windows is filled with loop holes and the MAC is the way to go....All these anti virus programs are nothing more than.a back up,,,If these problems keep occurring, you just need the recovery disk, according to everything i read on your search page and start scratch....thanks for the survey info

Thumbs up Avg

Quote Originally Posted by MrDarn View Post
    its like anything else, if a virus is written to beat a program, and you have it installed, it'll beat it until its updated.

the trick is to keep one step ahead, and keep it updated.
    I haven't had any problems with it whatsoever since I've been using it. On the other hand, while back I was using Zonealarm with all its bells and whistles yet experienced a Zlob Trojans big time intrusion. The only place I received support to rid of, it was Help2Go.
    "Experience is the name one gives for his/ her mistakes"

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

+1 for Avast here also.

It also scans Instant Messages, Network Shield, Internet Email/Outlook and *Cough P2P...

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

AVG has turned me off since they started to include their "Security Toolbar" which is just a fancy Yahoo search bar. I understand a need to make money but having the box pre-checked and then some people have said that even unchecking it still installs it is too much for me.
    Proud Member of ASAP
    Proud Member of UNITE

Do not ask for my help via pm. Keep it in the forums so all may learn from it.

My help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Does Avast scan e-mail? If so, it may have a convert.
    I gave AVG the flick over a year ago, now have Avast Home Edition Free. Very pleased with it, and it does scan my email Windows Live Mail very diligently.

If you decide to install it and have your computer in your bedroom, disable the sound as it tells you when it is updated sometimes 3 or 4 times a day in a loudish man's voice!

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yet another vote for Avast!

It does its job without fuss and constant popups. In fact, if it wasn't for the notification of definition updates every 4 hours or so, you wouldn't know it was there. (Tallin's right about shutting off all sounds!). But when it does find a nasty, it lets you know in no uncertain terms and deals with it.

In my book, that's exactly what antivirus software should do.

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tallin View Post

If you decide to install it and have your computer in your bedroom, disable the sound as it tells you when it is updated sometimes 3 or 4 times a day in a loudish man's voice!
    That voice has startled me awake on a few occasions lmao!!

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast