Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Default Are Macs as secure as they make us believe?

I found this article to be quite informative. We know that Macs are susceptible to viruses, but are their ads fair? Read on It's time for the FTC to investigate Mac security

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah I mean.. it really comes down to this answer IMO.

Less people use Macs so less people spend time trying to figure out ways to hack them and exploit the flaws.

If it were 50/50 on users, there would be just as many security issues as Windows I'm sure.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's very true. The most worrying aspect of it all is the number of Mac owners who think that their machines are immune to anything and everything. I've lost count of the number of machines I've seen without any antivirus or malware protection. I even had a standup row with one guy who could not be pursuaded that he needed protection, insisting that a Mac was impervious to such problems.

OK, the risk is small, but considering that a large proportion of Macs are used for business purposes, the pickings are much better.

One thing's for certain, years and years of hacking and exploiting vulnerabilities in Windows products has given MS a huge amount of data and experience - something that Apple lack. Windows 7 and IE8 are already proving almost impossible to crack - note the word 'almost'.

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Guys, as a Mac user who switched from Windows, I have to disagree.

I administer hundreds of computers (and servers), half of them Mac and half PC, and I have several Macs in my home. Not once have I ever encountered any sort of malware or virus running on any of the Macs. Most of the "viruses" that have been released that target the Mac are software exploits, but they don't really get anywhere. The reason is that Mac OS/Darwin is a multi-user OS where the user does NOT have admin privileges. That means that malicious software cannot surreptitiously attack the main underlying system.

It is much more difficult to create a worm that will attack Macs. Symantec and the other AV companies are trying to sell something, so they push the idea that the viruses are out there. My wife had Norton for Mac installed on her work Mac. The darn thing never had any updates - it was as useless as can be.

I'm not saying that Macs are foolproof, and I do believe that any computer user has to be vigilant. However, I have lots of experience dealing with security issues, and I can tell you that 100% of my time has been spent dealing with PC security problems.

Quite simply, UNIX is a more secure OS architecture than Windows.
    Last edited by Osc; 06-03-2009 at 07:36 AM.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Quote Originally Posted by Osc View Post
    Guys, as a Mac user who switched from Windows, I have to disagree.

I administer hundreds of computers (and servers), half of them Mac and half PC, and I have several Macs in my home. Not once have I ever encountered any sort of malware or virus running on any of the Macs. Most of the "viruses" that have been released that target the Mac are software exploits, but they don't really get anywhere. The reason is that Mac OS/Darwin is a multi-user OS where the user does NOT have admin privileges. That means that malicious software cannot surreptitiously attack the main underlying system.

It is much more difficult to create a worm that will attack Macs. Symantec and the other AV companies are trying to sell something, so they push the idea that the viruses are out there. My wife had Norton for Mac installed on her work Mac. The darn thing never had any updates - it was as useless as can be.

I'm not saying that Macs are foolproof, and I do believe that any computer user has to be vigilant. However, I have lots of experience dealing with security issues, and I can tell you that 100% of my time has been spent dealing with PC security problems.

Quite simply, UNIX is a more secure OS architecture than Windows.
    Wow, very good to know and enlightening. I was under the false impression that their flaws just were not widely discussed. (Like the FireFox vs IE ones)

Anyone else have more to add on this? I'm now possibly interested in one as my next computer.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    One thing's for certain, years and years of hacking and exploiting vulnerabilities in Windows products has given MS a huge amount of data and experience - something that Apple lack. Windows 7 and IE8 are already proving almost impossible to crack - note the word 'almost'.
    I really hope so. All this stuff floating around about "zero-day" flaws and exploits is driving me nuts.

Moreover, the ever so entertaining hidden rootkit driveby downloads on legitimate websites makes for great fun. Good thing Malwarebytes is pretty much on top of it. It found a rootkit driver on one of my computers yesterday.

Even the trojan writers are being kind enough to add rootkits to the latest versions of their garbage programs. Just incase we get bored and need good times I guess.