Lightbulb Disabling DNS Caching

I'm not sure if this is recommended anywhere here, forgive me if it is (And mods can delete this). A search didn't come up with anything for me though.

It seems to be that I've read in a couple of reputable articles that Disabling DNS caching can be a solution to some of the redirecting problems from both worms like Confiker and DNS Changers. (Possibly alot more as well, whose main job is to redirect your browser).

It also seems that the only function this service serves in Windows is to speed up your internet browsing and general connection activities. The benefit to turning this off far outweighs the drawback IMO.

If you don't want to turn it off permanently, maybye a temporary stop can be recommended as a step in the fighting spyware guide. (Before the online scans and trying to download programs such as Malwarebytes and SuperAnti-Spyware) This could solve potential issues with net worms and trojans attempting to block the download.

I only know how to do this in Vista so if anyone knows how to do it in the other OS's feel free to provide the info.

NOTE: Before changing or doing any type of modifications like this, you need to be sure System Restore is ON and you should Create a Manual Restore Point before any changes are made!

How to temporarily stop DNS caching service in Vista:

1) Press the Windows Start Button

2) In the search area, type cmd

3) When Cmd shows up in the menu, Right click on it and select "Run as Administrator"

4) A DOS prompt will open up. It will be set to somewhere in the default windows directory where cmd.exe is located. For this example in Vista 32, it shows up for me as "C:\Windows\system32". It may vary according to the OS version you have, I'm not sure on that.

5) We need to get to the root of the drive now to use the stop service command so type cd.. as many times as you need to so that you are typing in the root of the C: drive (or whatever it's labeled for you)

6) Now, in the main C:\> prompt, type net stop dnscache

It will give you a message telling you if it's successful or not, or if the service is not started. It is on by default I believe.

To disable this service from running altogether in Vista:

1) Goto the Windows Start Menu Button

2) Type services

3) In the main window, at the bottom there are two tabs labeled extended and standard. Click the standard tab.

4) Locate the service named DNS Client. Right click it and select the properties option. In the first tab opened by default (the general tab), the lower section shows service status. If it is started, press the stop button in that section. After that is completed, in the dropdown menu above labeled startup type, select disabled.

The service will no longer autostart, hopefully solving a few more malware problems. If you ever want to re-enable it, open the services again and change it to your startup preference. You can restart it again after it's enabled if you choose, from the same menu.
    Last edited by ViperDriver; 06-07-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Bold / Underline error edit

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Good post ViperDriver. For Firefox users, this only goes part way to solving the problem.

Firefox has its own DNS cache which can also be shut down. This explains how.

Didn't know that about Firefox.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    Good post ViperDriver. For Firefox users, this only goes part way to solving the problem.

Firefox has its own DNS cache which can also be shut down. This explains how.
    Thank you. You as well arraknid. I didn't know there were additional steps for Firefox. Good addition.

Member Help2Go Moderator