Default Free drivers download.

Most drivers can be found here.
    Free Drivers Downloads

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

This site has mixed reviews so be careful about entering any personal information and don't download any drivers.

The PC Pitstop Driver Alert is not free but you can use the scanner to identify potential out-of-date drivers.

Important note: ALWAYS download a new or even old driver from the manufacturers web site and NEVER use a third party software for the download!! Third party software reports new available drivers and that is not a reliable indication that the new driver will work on your system. You can easily crash or damage your computer by installing uncompilable drivers.

If you need help locating drivers for your computer please start a new topic in our Computer Help forum and we will do our best to find the correct driver for you.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

"This site has mixed reviews so be careful about entering any personal information and don't download any drivers."
    As a tech in IT at work have used this site many times, so am perplexed as to the statement Don't download any drivers have always found the correct drivers for numerous hardware that is why I recommended it, interesting you recommend a site that costs $29.99??
    I thought this would be helpful, obviously not...the last post I make here!!

In my experience if you are not having problems with your Drivers, "if it ain't broke don't be fixing it" as the saying goes.

I have used DriverMax for the information only.
    When you run the app, it asks you if you'd like to run the trial version or apply for a registration key. The key is free, requiring only an e-mail address and your name. Once you've entered the key, the program interface appears, with slick button navigation: Driver Operations, Updates and Identification, and Popular Hardware. Mousing over one reveals more choices, so you can export your drivers, import drivers, or view an installed drivers report.
    I am not having problems with my system drivers so have not updated.

Just my 0.2cents worth.

kind regards,

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm gonna add my bit now. I never use 'driver sites' for driver updates - whether personally or at work, it's just a lazy way of doing updates and, more often than not, you end up with a generic driver, or even one that is out of date. I've even seen drivers that have been 'tweaked' by third parties to get around a problem, then they end up in the public domain.

So, I agree with EF. The only poroper way of updating drivers is via the manufacturer's website - whether it be the manufacturer of the machine, or the individual components.

I also agree with Tallin, that drivers only need updating when they cease to work properly. That could be because they've become corrupted - in which case a reinstall is all that's necessary, or that they aren't working with other hardware drivers. As Tallin rightly says, if it ain't broke..... Those driver update programs tend to instil a feeling of paranoia, that everything has to be up-to-date at all times, but if everything was working properly 6 months ago, and it still is, leave well alone.

It reminds me of a machine I looked at once which had two driver update programs installed. Once a week, the guy religiously ran both programs and downloaded everything he was told to, just in case anything got missed! Someone had told him that if he didn't keep his drivers updated, his Windows warranty would be void! I got him to read the Windows EULA, then asked him to point out a warranty.

Oh, the reason I was looking at the machine was that it had a corrupt video driver.

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

I wasn't trying to downgrade your advice Sonicone and I apologize if you took it as some sort of a personal attack. My intentions were to inform anyone reading this topic of the pitfalls in using third party driver downloads. It's been a while but I've personally suffered the consequences. Won't happen again and if I can keep someone else from making that mistake then so be it.

As a community driven forum we all have a responsibility to those who are just passing through and should give warnings, if we know of any, about sites we link to from H2G.

interesting you recommend a site that costs $29.99??
    I clearly stated - The PC Pitstop Driver Alert is not free but you can use the scanner to identify potential out-of-date drivers.

If one is found then you should go to the manufacturers website to first confirm it needs updated and then download the new driver at the manufacturers website. As Arrakind said, third party sites have drivers that have been modified and there is usually no disclaimer stating that they have been modified.

As a tech in IT at work have used this site many times,
    This is where I will get a little personal. As an IT Tech you should know to ALWAYS use the manufacturers website. How can you CYA any other way?

My references for the comment about mixed reviews:
    driverstock.com | WOT Security Scorecard | WOT Web of Trust <- I contribute to and trust the ratings at WOT and with no comments the yellow ratings are enough of a red flag for me.
    driverstock.com | Web Safety Ratings from McAfee SiteAdvisor <- Read the reviews, they're mixed.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Just a PS to all this, in regards to 3rd party drivers, we strongly recommend not installing drivers from Microsoft (unless of course you're updating MS products). I learned my lesson the hard way many years ago.

I learned my lesson the hard way many years ago.
    I concur, I learned the same lesson on my then new Laptop when Drivers were recommended in a Windows Update not long after I took delivery of it. Silly me let them download and install only to find the Laptop froze after booting up within 5 minutes.

It is the Manufacturers Website for me and Microsoft should not be advising users to install drivers through Windows Updates.

We live and learn.