Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Creating an XP Installation Disc

I found this link for creating your own XP installation disc. When I bought my system, I was only provided with a Restore disk and really didn't want to have to buy XP just to get the installation disc (which IMHO you should be provided with anyway as you've paid for it, but that's another gripe ...)

Any comments from experienced members appreciated :

Create Your Own Windows XP Installation Disc : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech

Steph
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph,

I am not going to be much help except to say, when buying any computer here in Oz, it is illegal for the seller not to supply the OS CD with the new Computer.

My humble opinion, your link posted looks excellent.....however being the squib I am with my systems, I would get my clever professional techie to make the OS CD for me as then I could be sure it would work.

Alternatively, why not contact Microsoft with your registration # and request they give you one as it was not supplied in the first instance.

Others will post with their expert opinions I am sure,

kind regards,

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's perfectly OK to create your own installation disk using BartPE. It's a well-known tool and works fine. Just be sure to follow the instructions carefully. Personally, I always use N-Lite because it's more up-to-date and is easier to use, but BartPE is fine.

Alternatively, why not contact Microsoft with your registration # and request they give you one as it was not supplied in the first instance.
    If the system was preinstalled, it'll be a lot different from the standard MS Installation disk, to take account of installed hardware, so a disk supplied by Microsoft won't be of any use - not that they'd send you one anyway. The only people who might, are the manufacturers of the machine, who may sell you a disk. That's usually because the data stored on the hard drive partition has been lost due to a hard drive failure. However, it'll be the default install, with no updates or recent service packs applied. Dell and Compaq/HP will.

Thank you both for the comments - I'll certainly get someone more experienced to make it up for me Tallin - I couldn't find XP Pro any cheaper than 70 so if this works in the same way if required, it would be really good.

@Arraknid : from your comment about the manufacturer disc being no more than a default installation, does that mean that using N-Lite or similar will create a disc that does have all the updates and service packs applied? Do you have a link for N-Lite it please, I couldn't find it on the Software Picks thread.

Thank you.

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Blog Entries

Hi Steph,

does that mean that using N-Lite or similar will create a disc that does have all the updates and service packs applied
    It does, as long as you use the i386 folder, but any drivers for installed hardware won't be included. You can either search them out and use N-Lite to incorporate them into the disk, which for the uninitiated can be problematic, or you could just wait till the installation is complete and download from the manufacturer's site.

N-Lite is powerful software, so read all of the guides and FAQ's on the site before starting. And even if you get it wrong first time, it'll only cost you a blank CD.

Download N-Lite from here.

User guide here.

Hi Arraknid, thanks for the reply

I'm going to get someone more experienced to help me with this but I'd like to know what you meant by using the i386 folder - do you mean making the disk from the files in that folder?

Thank you

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Blog Entries

I'd like to know what you meant by using the i386 folder - do you mean making the disk from the files in that folder?
    That's right. You have 2 options when sourcing system files for making an installation disk, and it depends on your system as to which you choose. If your system is the same as it was installed, with no further service packs added, you use the i386 folder on the original disk. Obviously, if you have the disk, this process is somewhat redundant. Depending on the machine, it is sometimes possible to access the restore data on a separate partition of the hard drive, which will have the same folder present. If not, borrowing an installation disk of the same Windows type will usually do. In other words, XP Home for XP Home, etc, etc.

The second option would be where Windows has had a Service Pack installed in place. For instance, if, since the original installation, SP1, 2 or 3 has been installed, you'll have a folder in the main Windows folder labelled i386. Its size will be 400 - 500Mb. That's the folder to use.

This is slightly different to the way described in the link you found using BartPE, in that N-Lite creates a completely self-contained, standalone, bootable installation disk, rather than running the winnt32.exe file contained in the i386 folder on the hard drive.

Good luck.

Hi Arraknid, thanks for the detailed explanation.

It looks like a more complex procedure than I'd anticipated so I'll defiinitely get someone more experienced to help with this, hopefully next week. I've printed out your posts and I'll go through them step by step at the same time so I can see how it's done.

Thanks again, I hope to post back shortly reporting I have a fully functioning installation disk ...

Steph

RAM 8.0 GB;
    Firefox; IE11

Did you use the printer friendly page?

add the text -print between http://www.help2go.com/forum/contrib...tallation-disc and .html#post435070 to create the page in a printer friendly format

http://www.help2go.com/forum/contributors/103924-creating-xp-installation-disc-print.html#post435070
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Blog Entries

I hope to post back shortly reporting I have a fully functioning installation disk
    Look forward to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast