Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default For those of you.....

.....who are not familiar with Metallica - Expert he is currently helping me here to solve a niggling problem with AutoPlay. TomK is doing a really good job of it also.

Here is Metallica's Help Removing and Preventing Spyware. So much good information for us all.

best regards,

Hi Tallin, good link.

Some great advice although I did notice the tutorial was last updated about a year ago - which programs would you replace with more up to date recommendations - eg Adaware, SS&D or would you consider these programs to still have their place?

Steph
    Last edited by Steph; 10-01-2009 at 06:05 AM. Reason: clarifying query
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hi Steph,

I would say Metallica would update his link if need be as it is showing on his Microsoft MVP profile link that is for viewing if you are a registered member of Malware University site.

I do not have Adaware so cannot comment on it, but I do run Spyware Search and Destroy which I feel is one of the better tools of trade these days.

I am giving Windows Security Essentials a go as of today.....so far so good, but have real time protection turned off so as not to conflict with Avast or Malwarebytes'. Not sure I will keep it as it reminds me of Windows Defender which I did not like at all.

....thanks Steph,

best regards,

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

He definitely needs to update the links. The HJT download link goes to a search site!! His update log shows the last update was over a year ago, and things have moved on a little since then.

As for your problem, I doubt it's related to Autoplay. Do you see the drive listed in Disk Management (type diskmgmt.msc in the Run box)?

One thing that can happen, especially when the camera is used on 2 different machines, is that the drive letter allocated on one machine is already in use on another, so won't show up in My Computer.

For instance, if it's seen as drive E on one machine, and that letter is already allocated on the second machine, rather than just identifying itself as the next available drive letter, F or G, etc, it chooses not to appear at all. As there's no letter allocated, Autoplay won't start.

If you do see the camera/drive listed in Disk Management, what do you see on right click?

Thanks for taking an interest in my issue with AutoPlay on this PC.

Do you see the drive listed in Disk Management (type diskmgmt.msc in the Run box)?
    Here are the allocated drives on the PC (No AutoPlay working for exporting photos)
    • C:\Basic
    • E:\Ghost backup ' External Removal'
    • D:\CD-ROM O (AutoPlay works on this drive)
    Laptop AutoPlay is working on all drives below
    • C:\ Basic
    • F:\ Acronis External
    • E:\ CD--ROM O

On the PC, the host computer the allocated shared drives are B then F through to Z inclusive.

I am grateful for your input Arraknid as my problem with AutoPlay on the PC is still unsolved. I have no other issues with the PC, it is running very well as is the Laptop.

Best regards,
    Last edited by tallin; 10-01-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Perhaps an alternative to getting AutoPlay to work on my PC would be for me to purchase the correct USB Card Reader (very inexpensive here - $25) although I don't want to be beaten with this issue.

The camera is an Olympus Digital 600 megapixel 2.5 LTD (model #A50525433) and I believe I would need a XD card for it if I go along this route.

Could anyone comment on this alternative please?

best regards,

Blog Entries

Hi Tallin,

Let's see if we can sort the problem first. I'd like to see a screen grab of the Disk Management window. Make sure the camera is connected before starting the computer, start up, go to Disk Management and maximise the window. You'd be better attaching the file to your post, considering its size.

The mystery deepens Arraknid.

Here are two attachments:
    • The first before I attached the camera
    • The second after shutting down attaching the camera and restarting

Now I have an F:\Drive which is 'my name' Business' folder in My Documents. I have never seen an F:\Drive on here other than a shared file with my Laptop.... When I open My Computer it is not showing under "Hard Disk Drives"...only C: and E: are.

When I click PC/OK on the camera, the system recognises it with the 'safely remove hardware' icon near the clock, but it does not say, "Found new Hardware".

thanks for you patience with this, wouldn't it be great if you solved the puzzle?

I forgot to extend the second attachment...the CD-ROM O DVD D:\Drive is at the bottom not showing.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by tallin; 10-02-2009 at 05:34 AM.

Blog Entries

OK, the F drive looks to be the card inside your camera, at least the icon shows it as such. I'm guessing you have a 256Mb card? You can test it by taking some pix on the camera, connect as previously described, and then right click either the entry or the graphical representation and select Open. That should open the drive and you should see the pix.

If you do, or even if you don't, the next thing is to get it to show in My Computer. Whilst still in Disk Management, right click on the drive again and select Change Drive Letter and Paths... In the next window, click on Change and select a drive letter that is unlikely to be used elsewhere. I start at the end of the alphabet with Z, Y, X, etc for my external and flash drives, so change to, say Z, and click on OK. Close all windows and restart.

You should, hopefully, see the drive in My Computer.

See how that goes.

Personally, I wouldn't have Autorun activated but, as always, the choice is yours.

Quote Originally Posted by arraknid View Post
    OK, the F drive looks to be the card inside your camera, at least the icon shows it as such. I'm guessing you have a 256Mb card? You can test it by taking some pix on the camera, connect as previously described, and then right click either the entry or the graphical representation and select Open. That should open the drive and you should see the pix.

If you do, or even if you don't, the next thing is to get it to show in My Computer. Whilst still in Disk Management, right click on the drive again and select Change Drive Letter and Paths... In the next window, click on Change and select a drive letter that is unlikely to be used elsewhere. I start at the end of the alphabet with Z, Y, X, etc for my external and flash drives, so change to, say Z, and click on OK. Close all windows and restart.

You should, hopefully, see the drive in My Computer.

See how that goes.

Personally, I wouldn't have Autorun activated but, as always, the choice is yours.
    Yes, I have a 256mb card. I will need to connect the camera and reboot again to get the same result in Disk Management. When I right clicked on the F:drive before that is showing in my attachment, the drive showed empty although there is one pic on it. It showed as I said in my last post that it was '*****'s Business (***** being my first name) which happens to be a shortcut icon in my task bar,

Before I do anything, what drive letter do I choose as in my post #5 all the alphabetical letters are used as far as I can see or perhaps that is not relevant when they are shared files?

I am referring to AutoPlay not being enabled on this PC, and you are referring to Autorun not your preference to have activated - how do I export my pics if they are one and the same if AutoPlay is not activated?

I will await more direction from you before proceeding....thanks

regards,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast