Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Exclamation F1 Key Virus Alert

It appears that there is a virus going around on Internet Explorer. A window will ask you to click the F1 key .. this will activate a virus .. until a patch comes out for this, it's advised if you get the massage to either X the window to close or shut down IE .. do not click the F1 key; more here from Microsoft Microsoft Security Advisory (981169): Vulnerability in VBScript Could Allow Remote Code Execution

Note: the vulnerability cannot be exploited on Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, or Windows Server 2008

Yesterday I found this while googling to find the full purpose of the F1 key.
    In the case of an attack, a victim using Windows 2000, XP, or Server 2003 would only need to visit a malicious web site where a dialog box would be presented, enticing users to press their F1 key. Once the key is pressed, the system is hijacked and malware is installed on the computer. (Source: pcworld.com)
    I was going to post it here, but, I let it slip my mind!

Shame on me!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"