Thread: Skype bug

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Default Skype bug

I've just discovered a bug with the latest Skype update version 4.2.0.155, Skype has written back to me and confirmed the problem and will address it hopefully by their next update.

This will probably not effect most users, but here is what I discovered. When having a conference call (three or more) communication becomes very flakey, words and parts of sentences just drop to make the conversation unintelligible. The problem arises if you have a capture card, I have a Hauppauge WinTV, and for what ever reason the latest Skype update recognizes it as a web cam. This in turn uses up a lot of bandwidth and causes the problem. The temporary solution is to uninstall all Hauppauge (or other capture card programs) including the driver(s). As I don't use the program that much this was a no-brainer, but if you use your capture device, you'll have to decide what goes.

By-the-way reverting to an older version of Skype does not help, there must be a registry change that does not delete when Skype is uninstalled.

Hope this helps.

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That's a strange one. I haven't used Skype for a long time, but I'm sure there was a way of selecting an input device. I use 2 capture cards - one for terrestrial and one for DVB-S satellite transmissions, and a webcam, which makes selection a necessity. Mind you it can be problematic. I well remember, after leaving the computer running, a relative in the UK telephoning to complain that they were able to watch French TV!! Oops!

Are you saying that there's no input device choice option in the new version? I would have thought that using system restore would have cleared the registry problem if attempting to go back to an older version.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If there's no web cam connected, there is no selection available, so you just get TV. When Web cam is connected you're able to get the input device choice option. However even selecting the web cam the capture card was still running and using up broadband. For sure, I deleted everything to do with the capture card and still it defaulted to WinTV. I just couldn't turn the thing off until I deleted the driver. And for sure, the same thing happened when I did a System Restore. Also the items I was deleting was going into System Restore, so I backed up the Registry and deleted the Restore points and then turned it back on.