Blog Entries

Exclamation Recovery Console in Windows XP

Important Note: Because the Recovery Console is quite powerful, it is recommended for use only by advanced users or administrators.

Everyone using WinXP should install and create a Recovery Console
    (You will need access to a WinXP CD)
    To install the Recovery Console as a Startup Option
    With Windows running, insert the Setup CD into your CD-ROM drive. Start/Run/X:i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons. Follow the instructions on the screen.

Notes:

To run the Recovery Console, restart your computer and select the Recovery Console option from the list of available operating systems.

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

To see the commands available on the Recovery Console, type help at the at the console prompt.
    To start the computer and use the Recovery Console
    From the Setup CD-ROM

Insert the Setup compact disc (CD) and restart the computer. If prompted, select any options required to boot from the CD.
    When the text-based part of Setup begins, follow the prompts; choose the repair or recover option by pressing R. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console. When prompted, type the Administrator password. At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command.

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit.

If you have already installed the Recovery Console

During Startup, select Recovery Console from the startup options menu. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access from the Recovery Console. When prompted, type the Administrator password. At the system prompt, type Recovery Console commands; type help for a list of commands, or help commandname for help on a specific command. To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit

I can not name the times the above info has saved my butt from corrupted WindowsXP issues

I hope some find this info helpful too

Source :Kelly Theriot MS-MVP(DTS)...Kelly's Korner & abs
    Last edited by abseh1; 04-01-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

If you do not have a CD with the Recovery Console on it you can create one using the Automated Recovery CD Creator (ARCDC) by Olrik Lenstra (aka Artellos) which automates the process of creating the CDs from Microsoft's Floppy Boot Install BootDisks.

Artellos.com

Very interesting!

Not long ago, I was priviledged with the learning experience of how to recover from a corrupted master boot file on my daughters desktop XP. What we did was to burn the ISO file to CD-R disk from this link HERE, because we did not have a disk to access the recovery console from.

Then followed instructions in this link HERE.

It was very easy to accomplish success! Though, being the first time to approach such a situation, I have to admit my fingers were crossed the whole time!
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

Yes, there are other ways to install the recovery panel....but for your benifit please do
    Even if you do not use it .....the tech will appreciate the option @ boot

I always had the WinXP Disc....so I always used it....my bad

It is nice to boot and chose "Recovery Console" as an option if needed....but it should be installed

Many people create a path to the i386 folder during Windows Installation....not a bad idea either
    Last edited by abseh1; 04-01-2010 at 12:13 PM.

I also found that you can install the recovery console via ComboFix, which I found that some Spyware Fighters recommend this, too! But, pretty much useless if you can't boot your machine.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    I also found that you can install the recovery console via ComboFix, which I found that some Spyware Fighters recommend this, too! But, pretty much useless if you can't boot your machine.

Not a cure all just nice fix for corrupted windows ....that boot to the recovery option

Artellos made that tool as a result of a discussion we had at GeeksToGo where we all agreed that precompiled iso images, like the one you linked to, are illegal to distribute. GeeksToGo used to use one themselves (rc.iso) up until a few weeks ago when that discussion ended.

Blog Entries

The best is going the Microsoft Route with the Windows XP CD....that is the reason I started the thread

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

To install the Recovery Console, follow these steps:
    1. Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD-ROM drive.
    2. Click Start, and then click Run.
    3. In the Open box, type d:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive. In the case of 'Microsoft Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type d:\amd64\winnt32.exe /cmdcons where d is the drive letter for the CD-ROM drive.
    4. A Windows Setup Dialog Box appears. The Windows Setup Dialog Box describes the Recovery Console option. To confirm the installation, click Yes.
    5. Restart the computer. The next time that you start your computer, "Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" appears on the startup menu.
    Source: Microsoft
    Article ID: 307654 - Last Review: June 30, 2008 - Revision: 6.2