Blog Entries

Thumbs up Windows 7 - Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

Windows 7 - Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup

It creates a clone of your hard drive that you can restore at the System Recovery Options boot screen from your Windows 7 installation DVD.

Information This will show you how to create a system image (clone) backup of the entire hard drive or partition that Windows 7 is on, and any other selected drive or partition, to be able to restore the hard drive or partition at boot up back to the way it was at the time the backup image was created.

Note Backup images are saved as backup periods in this format at the selected saved to location below.

(backup location)\WindowsImageBackup\(computer name)\Backup (year-month-day) (time)
    Warning Windows 7 cannot backup the partition or drive that you are saving the backup image to.
    You can only save the backup image on a separate hard drive (recommended) or partition than Windows 7 is installed on.
    Only the Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterprise editions can backup to a network location.
    You cannot restore a 64-bit Windows 7 backup image on a 32-bit system.
    You cannot restore a 64-bit Windows 7 backup image with a 32 bit Windows 7 installation DVD or recovery partition, or the other way around. You must use the same 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 7 installation DVD or recovery partition as the backup image is.

When restoring a system image from a dynamic volume, the disks on your computer cannot be formatted to match the layout of the disks on the backup. To have full functionality, select a volume (partition) on a basic disk as your backup location instead.
    BTW: Don't forget to create a system repair disc too...see next post below

Source/Disclaimer
    Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized,
    sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation.
    "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
    Last edited by abseh1; 04-03-2010 at 09:17 AM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

How to Create a Windows 7 System Repair Disc

Tutorial

Information This will show you how to create a Windows 7 system repair disc to use to boot to the system recovery options if you don't have a Windows installation disc, can't find your Windows installation disc, or can't access the recovery options provided by your computer manufacturer.
    Tip: If you would like to create this on a USB flash drive instead of a DVD, then also see this post here.

Credits: Jonathan_King

Win7 Professional x64
    4,787 posts
    Rednecksville, New York

I have discovered that it is possible to create a bootable System Repair USB drive the same way as a Installation drive.

1. Obtain a copy of the repair files, by either making a Repair Disc, or downloading the ISO and mounting it in a virtual drive.

2. Insert the USB drive.

3. Open up a copy of Diskpart.

4. Type list disk

5. Type select disk # # being the number of the USB drive

6. Type clean

7. Type create partition primary

8. Type select partition 1

9. Type active

10. Type format fs=ntfs quick'

11. Exit diskpart.

12. Copy all the files from the mounted ISO or existing repair disc to the newly created partition.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer