Blog Entries

Thumbs down Protecting your privacy on Facebook

For the record you need to protect yourself from Facebook

I am not a fan as you will see
    Facebook Privacy Protection Guide

There are five steps you need to take.
    (scroll down near the bottom of the article/page to see the steps)

Note: I am not a fan of facebook
    More reasons I think facebook is the latest Internet threat/problem
    Why I, Like, Really Dislike Facebook's 'Like' Button Facebook's "Like" button program told Pandora my musical preferences even though I didn't ask it to. It was both cool and creepy.
    Put into a real-world example, if you sign-on to Pandora -- one of Facebook's initial partners -- the site could automatically dip into your Facebook account and pull your favorite bands from your profile. It could then use that info to build specialized stations for you before you can even say "Selena Gomez."
    The external info-sharing doesn't stop with you, either: Pandora can also notify anyone on your Facebook friend list if a band they're listening to happens to appear within your Facebook profile. Yes, your co-workers and other professional contacts will soon be privy to your late-night Miley Cyrus jam sessions.
    Source:
    JR Raphael, PC World
    Apr 22, 2010 8:13 pm
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Good info abseth1. Oscar has a blog on it too Protecting your Privacy on Facebook - Blogs - Help2Go Forums

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Canuck

Thanks ...I am still finding my way around Help2Go...thanks again for the blog/link info from Oscar

What is so bad is the family members and friends are signing up innocent victims to facebook

Honestly, facebook is a service for many and also, an enjoyment to many....personally I avoid it like a plague

It needs to be understood by anyone who uses facebook....and unfortunately many are clueless about the dangers of facebook
    Last edited by abseh1; 04-27-2010 at 10:37 PM.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love Facebook - I find it to be an invaluable way to keep up with my family and friends both new and old. It's very convenient to share photos and videos of the kids with people who you know will enjoy them.

However, their constant grab to "take over the Internet" - and make no mistake, that is what it is, has made many people extremely cautious. The rule is, don't put anything personal on Facebook that you wouldn't want to get out to the public. Because even setting aside Facebook's privacy concerns, you never know what a friend will do with the information you post. Your friends are the weak link in the privacy chain - but what I resent is that Facebook is making it easier for you and your friends to inadvertantly share that information with people who are not entitled to it.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@Osc It's nice to see that you didn't incorporate the Facebook or Twitter links into the site.

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If people ask for it, I'd reconsider. But at this point, I don't think that the Facebook integration will end up being a big deal. Some will use it, some won't, and in the end something better will come along.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go