Default Copy's of MrDarn's Tutorials

I'll be adding my tutorials to this thread as i make them to keep them all in one place.

Feel free to link to any of them if you wish.

To link to them, you will need the post's ID number, which will be displayed in the top of each post. Just copy and paste the code to link directly to the post.

List Of Tutorials

If you find any of these particularly usefull, please let me know by clicking the "Click here if this post helped you" button at the bottom of the post in question.Click text to view.

Last edited by MrDarn; 05-28-2010 at 03:41 AM.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Back to List

To link to this post, please copy the following code:
    [post=449320]Your Text Here[/post]

How to Quote a particular post:

If you want to reply directly to a post in a thread, it is sometimes handy to highlight the part of the post you are directly replying too.
    In the example, i will quote a post from another part of the forum, just imagine that post in actually in this thread.

----------------------

At the bottom of the post you wish to reply too, there is a button marked "Reply With Quote" as shown here:
    If you click that button, a reply box will appear with some text already written. this is the "quoted" text from the post you are replying too, wrapped in quote tags.

In my example, the text is as follows:
    Code:
    [QUOTE=10peg10;449225]Hi Donna
                lesson #1- click link >  back away from the keyboard > study the screen > then proceed
                Lesson well and truely learned

MrDarn
               There is no such thing as a Stupid Question.
               I wonder if  you will still say that in a couple of month Lol

Hope you  both dont mind but iv been practicing my cut and paste(not that i think  of you as guinea pigs) but im copy and paste mad tonight Lol

Thank you both for the continuing support
                 elaine[/QUOTE]
    (thanks for the material 10peg10 )
    If i just posted that as it is, it would look like this:
    Quote Originally Posted by 10peg10 View Post
    Hi Donna
    lesson #1- click link > back away from the keyboard > study the screen > then proceed
    Lesson well and truely learned

MrDarn
    I wonder if you will still say that in a couple of month Lol

Hope you both dont mind but iv been practicing my cut and paste(not that i think of you as guinea pigs) but im copy and paste mad tonight Lol

Thank you both for the continuing support
    elaine

Lets break that down into more detail.

The most basic way to add a quote is to add quote tags. This can be done manually, or using the toolbar in the reply box.
    Clicking the button will add the following to your reply: [QUOTE][/QUOTE]. This can also just be typed manually.

This 'code' is what creates the quote box in your post.Anything between the quote tags will appear inside the quote box.

When you click the Reply With Quote button, it adds information to this standard quote tag that identifies where the quote came from. In my example, the extra information is this:
    [QUOTE=10peg10;449225]

By adding an = sign, we can add the persons name who wrote the post. the number at the end is the posts Identification Number, and allows a clickable link back to that post, if clicked. Dont worry about adding this information, as it is added automatically when you click the "Reply With Quote" button.

So, to make it a bit clearer, we'll omit the post number, and play with the name:

This:
    [quote=anything i want]some text[/quote]
    will create this:
    Quote Originally Posted by anything i want
    some text
    So [quote=anything] tells the quote box to display
    Originally Posted by anything i want

Changing the text after the = sign will litterally display anything you want to type, as long as its a standard letter or number.

The post number adds a link to the actual post your quoting. You can return to that post by clicking the at the end of the line.

The text inside the quote tags can also be changed, so you can remove irrelevant bits and quote just the section you wish to reply too. Just make sure you leave the final [/quote] in place, or it will not display properly.

Using my example, i have removed the sections i do not want below, and this is how it appears:
    Quote Originally Posted by 10peg10 View Post
    MrDarn
    I wonder if you will still say that in a couple of month Lol
    which, in its raw form, looks like this:
    [QUOTE=10peg10;449225]MrDarn
    I wonder if you will still say that in a couple of month Lol[/QUOTE]

When you then reply to the quote, make sure your text is AFTER the final [/quote] tag, or it will be included in the quote box!

Any Questions?
    Please send me a PM!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Back to List
    [post=449642]Your Text Here[/post]

Keeping a Tidy File System

If you are like i was, everything will be on the desktop!

Whilst this can be handy, it soon becomes too cluttered to use, so here are some tips that helped me:

Look at what you actually have on the desktop, and decide what you actually need there.
    Do you have an Unused Desktop Icons folder?
    If so, great, if not, right-click a blank area of the desktop, and select New > Folder
    Name it unused desktop icons and press Enter.

Links to programs you use often should be left in place, any others should be dragged and dropped into this new folder to clear space.

Next any files or folders should not really be on the desktop. Right-click these files one by one (or multiple if your confident and know how!) and select Send To>
    Choose My Documents (Documents on Vista and Win7)

Next:

Firstly, i have my display set to 'List', not 'Icons'. to do this, you'll see along the top of the 'My Documents' page are a number of icons, like 'back' 'Up One Level' and near the end is 'Views'. Click that and select 'List'.

Open My Documents and look inside.
    Look at the Type of things in there...
    Photo's?
    Word Documents?
    Music?
    Games?

you'll notice you already have a 'My Music' and 'My Pictures' folders, if your using XP so that's the natural place for those types of file. You may even have a 'My Movies' folder. Vista and Win7 users can find these on the start menu.

Now comes the hard bit, as i don't really know what's left on your PC, as everyone is different.

For me, i have folders set up like this:

Games: for those game files that don't come with an installer. Games that do come with an installer usually install into Program Files so they don't need another folder.

Help2Go documents: In here goes EVERYTHING to do with Help2Go, including my shortcuts, program installers that i have downloaded from here, or advise on using, and my Notepad notes i have when helping complicated threads.

GeeksToGo: for all my Malware Training stuff

House Docs: For all my stuff to do with the house, car etc, including letters i've sent, copies of emails, the budget spreadsheet, an empty file named "MOT DUE DDMMYYYY" and "TAX DUE DDMMYYYY" so i have it at-a-glance, etc.

Misc: for all the stuff i just don't know what to do with.

I'm on XP, so i also have:
    My Pictures
    My Music
    Downloads

I have Windows Live, so i also have
    My Recieved Files

EVERYTHING from my desktop is stored here. (I also save to desktop so its easy to find, then move it later!)
    The only thing i have on my desktop when i shut down my computer is the recycle bin.

I use the quicklaunch bar for the following:
    Firefox; homepage set to my Hotmail Email.
    Opera Browser: for when i need a second opinion on a websites design, and how it looks.
    Command And Conquer 3: because i just love the game!
    Paint: its surprising how often i use this simple program!
    Blueline: its a Canned Speech storage centre, don't worry about it
    Notepad: Again, i use it all the time.

EVERYTHING else, i access via start > All Programs

There is just no need for an icon for everything on the desktop, and the more folders you have on the desktop, the longer it will take to load.

Now, inside the Pictures, Music and Video folders, you can have a smiler structure, having sub-folders for the files, that are specific to you.

I.E mine is set by artist name in My Music
    Photo's are set a number of ways depending on the photo's, ie:
    Pictures from holidays by the destination
    Pictures of my children by name
    Pictures of everything else by date.

Unfortunately, this part is entirely up to you.

I hope i've given you some ideas!

If you have any ideas to add to this tutorial, please let me know!
    Last edited by MrDarn; 05-28-2010 at 03:43 AM.

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MrDarn For This Useful Post:

Back to List

[post=449679]Your Text Here[/post]

How to delete Tags On Import suggestions on Vista Windows Photo Gallery:

It's a good thing to be cautious when editing the registry. In your case, since the registry key seems to be very specific to Windows Photo Gallery, we can safely export just the folder we are modifying. Be sure to close Windows Photo Gallery before starting.

• Click the Start orb.
    • Type regedit in the Start Search box.
    • Navigate through the folders on the left to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Photo Acquisition

Once there, you will see the list of tags. Delete ONLY the names you want removed, and ONLY after you have backed up the registry key as before. Please just delete what is nessessary, as you may delete a value that is needed if you are too cavalier with this part.

Once you are finished, close the registry editor by clicking the x in the upper right hand corner and restart your computer. When it comes back up, open Windows Photo Gallery and see if the tags are gone.

If you receive ANY errors opening Photo Gallery, simply right click on the file that you saved to the desktop earlier and choose import. That will undo any changes that we did.

Please let me know if that helps.
    Last edited by MrDarn; 05-28-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Back to List

[post=449680]Your Text Here[/post]

NOTE: This was taken from another source.
    Credit where credit is due!

How to delete Windows Photo Gallery tags created AFTER import on Vista

It's a good thing to be cautious when editing the registry. In your case, since the registry key seems to be very specific to Windows Photo Gallery, we can safely export just the folder we are modifying. Be sure to close Windows Photo Gallery before starting.

• Click the Start orb.
    • Type regedit in the Start Search box.
    • Navigate through the folders on the left to the following key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Photo Gallery\Library\PreviewPane\LabelAssignment\MRU

• Right click on the MRU folder in the left hand window and choose Export.
    • Give it a file name (doesn't matter what you name it) and save to the desktop.
    • In the window on the right you will see keys named MRU00, MRU02, MRU03 etc...
    • Right click on these keys and choose delete.

Once you are finished, close the registry editor by clicking the x in the upper right hand corner and restart your computer. When it comes back up, open Windows Photo Gallery and see if the tags are gone.

If you receive ANY errors opening Photo Gallery, simply right click on the file that you saved to the desktop earlier and choose import. That will undo any changes that we did.

Please let me know if that helps.
    Last edited by MrDarn; 05-28-2010 at 03:45 AM.

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7