Thread: What is an SSD?

Blog Entries

Default What is an SSD?

They are the next thing...maybe?....but prices need to drop before the replace the HDD

What is an SSD? It's an alternative to your standard hard drive. But unlike a hard drive, it doesn't have any moving parts. All the data is stored on flash memory.

SSDs have a number of advantages. The first is speed. Programs open faster. Documents save faster. And booting your computer takes much less time. You'll be at your desktop seconds after hitting the power button.

SSDs can also take a beating. I'm not saying you can hit one with a hammer. But they are more rugged than hard drives. They have no moving parts. So, there are fewer things that can break when dropped.

They're also more energy efficient. That makes them great for laptops. You'll get better battery life with an SSD. SSDs are also lighter than hard drives. Again, this makes sense for laptops. The less weight you have to haul, the better.

Right now, these things probably sound amazing. SSDs are showing up in high-end laptops from companies like Apple and Sony. But why haven't they phased out hard drives completely?

Well, it's not all rainbows and unicorns for SSDs. To begin with, they're expensive. A 250GB hard drive is pretty standard for laptops. You can find a 250GB hard drive for around $60.

I use a 1TB hard drive for storing media and light backups. You can find 1TB hard drives for about $100. SSDs that size are hard to come by. I found one. It costs nearly $4,000. Yikes!

Yes, SSDs may be an option in your next computer. Their speed, energy efficiency and durability are pluses. If you can afford it, go for it. But don't expect to find larger capacities. SSD prices will have to come way down before we see them in everything.

Credits: Kim Komando and the Internet
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Things have moved on since that was written. Samsung look to be emerging as the market leader having recently created a mass production line. As with all memory products, prices will plummet as more join the marketplace. In a couple of years, we'll be seeing traditional HDD's phasing out, thankfully!

Intel are now coming into the market, but not at the same price level as Samsung, whose SSD's are slightly slower, but still much faster than an HDD.

NEW Samsung SATA Solid State SSD 256GB Drive 256 GB TRIM Hard Drive

Blog Entries

The factor is price...I agree it will drop as time goes by
    The 200 GB version at $779 is very expensive when compared to under $80 for a 1T HDD. Until there is some sort of price parity, even at a slight premium, SSDs will sell to a niche market.
    The last concern is capacity.

Not long ago, the largest SSD you could buy was a 32 GB drive. Now Apple is selling them as stock items on the higher-end MacBook Air, and as a build to order option on the MBP (a 256 GB SSD adds $800 to the cost). I wonder how many of the $800 SSDs have been sold? I'm guessing it's a pretty small number.
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer