Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Foxit Reader 4.2.0.928

Just came across this information while perfecting some canned speeches for software that I recommend. Not sure I like what I read!

Comments Please!
    Date added: September 29, 2010
    Foxit Reader has long been the most visible Windows alternative to Adobe Reader, but with its latest update, this popular freeware falters slightly. While the jump from version 2 to version 3 cut bloat while adding in a few features, version 4 adds some new features but also throws some unpleasant curveballs.

The setup process has grown more cumbersome. It will automatically check you into the Foxit license agreement, and you are also opted-in to install the Foxit Search Bar that changes your default search provider to Ask and makes Ask.com your home page. It also opts you into the Foxit add-on for Firefox, and into creating desktop, quick launch, and Start menu icons that link to eBay. Also, in our tests, it commandeered the default PDF reader setting even though we unchecked that box.
    Found here--> Foxit Reader - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for sharing - that is NOT good news.

You can still get v3 here:
    Foxit Software - Downloads(Latest Version)

For PDF viewers, I don't understand why we would ever have to upgrade, really. The PDF specification hasn't changed much, so older viewers should work just fine with newly created PDFs. (As long as all the security holes are patched in the product)
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Osc For This Useful Post:

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Oh boy! Another one bites the dust!

Oh boy! Another one bites the dust!
    That comment brought a much needed smile after a hard days work!

I also found this link here for the much older versions. Are they secure as well?
    Old Version of Foxit Reader Download - OldApps.com
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Oh pants. So what's the best thing to do - roll back to an earlier version (and how would you be sure that all the security holes were being patched, as Osc advised) or change to something else altogether - and if so, what?
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Moderator Forum Moderator arraknid's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Steph,

You could revert to v3, but if you already installed v4, you'll have dealt with the installation crap, so leave it as is. The software is better than v3, it's just all of the dross on install that spoils it.

OK, thanks Arraknid
    Today is the dawn of another error ...

Intel Core i3-3240 @ 3.4GHz;
    RAM 8.0 GB;
    Windows 7 Home Prem SP1 64 bit
    Firefox; IE11

Hello guys...!
    Foxit Reader is a free PDF document viewer and printer, with incredible small size (only 1.5 M download size), breezing-fast launch speed and amamyleadsystemprozingly rich feature set. Foxit Reader 2.0 supports Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003. Its core function is compatible with PDF Standard 1.6.I was researching and found this valuable information so shared here...
    Last edited by Vaughann; 11-27-2010 at 03:12 AM.

Just uninstalled Version 3.2 and had to re-install version 3.3. Every time I googled Version 3.2 I received the link for Version 4.2.0.928. Boy! How aggressive! But after choosing Custom install and un-checking all the pre-checked options I ended up with just FoxIt and no unwanted guests!!

I believe that I will stay with the FoxIt 3.3 recommendation and just tweak my canned speeches to include all the warnings concerning unwanted items and to read the instructions carefully as we have in the past.

As posted by Vaughann:
    Foxit Reader 2.0 supports Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003
    What exactly does that mean? That it also supports Windows 98/Me/2000/XP/2003 along with later versions of Windows or just those listed?!?!

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If it supports XP, it should run OK on Vista or Win7. They probably just never updated that text since Vista was released.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast