Blog Entries

Default Tip: To search files in Win 8 ...Shortcut

Tip: In Win 8 doing a file search using the Metro (UI) Desktop

To search files in Win 8 just type the first letter of your search in Metro (UI)....type C @ the metro desktop
    (you get the access icons to the Control panel, Command prompt , etc )

Search files ...It's easier to just type directly into the Start screen, these take you directly to your desired search category.

For example with metro open just type the letter C and about 20 searches appear, including the Control Panel and Command Prompt etc
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

Blog Entries

Give Me Back My Desktop

Windows 8 looks drastically different from what you're used to. Those colors! Those tiles! Charms!

While we're big fans of the overhaul, you may long for the Windows desktop of old.

Don't worry; Microsoft built an ejector seat specifically for people like you.

If you press Start+D (Widows Icon), you'll shoot instantly to the desktop environment from wherever you are.

Press it again, and you'll clear all the windows to show the desktop you've spent the last two decades getting comfortable with.

Press it once more and your fancy tiled windows come back.

(If you have touch)
    A four-fingered vertical swipe also accomplishes this, but we found the keyboard shortcut a little easier.

BTW: At any time if you press the Windows key and the comma ,.....you can peek at the desktop

Hope this helps someone....abs

Blog Entries

You Can Have a Start Button If You Really Want

Literally the first thing you notice when you fire up Windows 8 is that your beloved, familiar Start button is gone. Don't panic. It's easy enough to live without, but if you can't, there are a ton of plugins to add back the Start button functionality of the old Windows—some third party, some semi-official, like Samsung and Lenovo's offerings.

There are several free apps already, like VIStart, Classic Shell, StartMenu7, and some paid ones like Start8, which has a free 30-day trial.

Alternatively, you can get most of the functionality of the old Start menu by closing tabs and windows.

I personally, do not want a Start Button @ least not until I am familiar with how Win 8 really works ...maybe later...but I doubt it

I moved the File explorer folder to where the Start button was and I use it as a Start button ...it takes you to the Libraries and The Computer and Network accesses and much more...better than "Start"... IMHO
    Last edited by abseh1; 11-07-2012 at 09:01 AM.