Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Default What you should know about Belarc

Belarc is an excellent program that gives you information about your computer. A quote from their site
    The Belarc Advisor builds a detailed profile of your installed software and hardware, missing Microsoft hotfixes, anti-virus status, CIS (Center for Internet Security) benchmarks, and displays the results in your Web browser. All of your PC profile information is kept private on your PC and is not sent to any web server.
    Some of the information this program detects should NOT be published/posted on any site, not only for your own security but also to stop the illegal use of your program keys being used by people using pirated copies of these programs.

If you wish to supply us with information from your Belarc report, we suggest you copy and paste only the pertinent information in your post.

For a free download of Belarc, you can go here http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Thank you PartieHonteuse for bring this to our attention.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to write it!

WoOt!

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

WoOt! to you too :wink:

*adds a woot woot*

couldn't resist
    Have I helped you? Please consider making a donation to keep Help2Go running and ad-free

To do is to be - Socrates; To be is to do - Plato; Do be do be do - Sinatra; Scooby Dooby Do - Scooby; Yabba Dabba Do - Flintstone

Member Help2Go Moderator

8) Word. 8)

I agree that program is a very useful tool. I understand it creates private webpage. My concern is with opening it when connected to the www. My worry is that someone can see this page when on the www.

I haven't used this since M$ came out with IE7. But I know that Firefox can open local files while on the web (scary) as can Opera. IE7, or 8 for that matter, isn't supposed to do this. But it may. I say it's fine as long as you're offline but worry about online.

If you have the right firewalls it shouldn't be a problem but I suspect many don't have that.

Blog Entries

My concern is with opening it when connected to the www. My worry is that someone can see this page when on the www.
    PRIVACY OF YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION

So they say?
    PRIVACY OF YOUR PROFILE INFORMATION

The Belarc Advisor keeps your PC profile on your PC and does not send it to a web server, including Belarc's server.

Belarc is able to personalize a web page to show you details of your computer without a web server by using technologies included in the Belarc Advisor.

Please let us know if you have any questions or how you feel about this issue by sending mail to info@belarc.com
    But as Canuck posted be careful what you post in a thread in a forum
    SIGNATURE...When I post info I assume you have already read this link
    How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer

As Canuck demonstrated, Belarc creates an HTML document that run on your local machine only. It does not connect to the internet. It is absolutely as safe as if you created a word document and opened it up on your own machine.

Absolutely correct asoonernurse.

What we are warning against here, is posting the information on a public forum.

If you post Belarc results on a forum like this, others whom are less honest could use your product keys to activate products they have not paid for.
    Always remember you're unique.

...Just like everyone else!
    If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by MrDarn View Post
    Absolutely correct asoonernurse.

What we are warning against here, is posting the information on a public forum.

If you post Belarc results on a forum like this, others whom are less honest could use your product keys to activate products they have not paid for.
    Too true, Mr. Darn. When one uses programs that basically lists all the information your computer has, one must be careful about letting that information out into the public realm. I should have included that in my post. Great catch.

Michael
    Last edited by asoonernurse; 08-22-2012 at 11:48 PM.