Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Removed fake antivirus but now Explorer wont work

My computer was infected by a fake antivirus program so I used Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware to remove the fake program and any other viruses or programs with it. However, once all of that was removed, my internet explorer will no longer connect to any sites. I'm still connected to the internet because I'm still able to download files via Ares but I can't get online through Explorer.

I have to use my computer at work (including as I type this) to access the internet and to search for any help or tips on how to solve my problem. Unfortunately, I've only been able to find how to get rid of the fake antivirus and not how to fix my problem with the internet and explorer. After reading about browser hijacking, I've thought that might be close to what has happened however, I don't have any pop ups and my homepage has never changed but the symptoms are similar. I know I need to just download and use Firefox but like I said I can't use the internet to download it.

Here is most of the information I could find that is requested for a post on this site and additional information about what else is happening. I apologize for not having all the information but like I said I can't get on the internet to download CCleaner and HijackThis and I'll have to type the logs in by hand.

My computer is a custom built one that I had a friend do for me, its a Cyberpower Custom Build Intel Pentium 4 System (built in '03) and runs Windows XP Professional.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
    http://www.superantispyware.com
    Generated 02/24/2010 at 6:37PM
    Application Version 4.28.1010
    Core Rules Database Version: 4085
    Trace Rules Database Version: 2122
    Scan Type: Complete Scan
    Total Scan Time: 00:34:47
    Memory items scanned: 432
    Memory threats detected: 0
    Registry items scanned: 5485
    Registry threats detected: 0
    File items scanned: 19928
    File threats detected: 0

mbam-log-2010-02-25 (08-43-05)
    Malwarebytes' AntiMalware 1.41
    Database version: 2775
    Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
    2/25/2010 8:43:05AM
    mbam-log-2010-02-25 (08-43-05).txt
    Scan type: Full Scan (C:\)
    Objects scanned: 158876
    Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 7 minute(s), 5 seconds(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
    Memory Modules Infected: 0
    Registry Keys Infected: 0
    Registry Values Infected: 1
    Registry Data Items Infected: 2
    Folders Infected: 0
    Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
    (No malicious items detected)
    Memory Modules Infected:
    Registry Keys Infected:
    Registry Values Infected:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\taskman (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully
    Registry Data Items Infected:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoFolderOptions (Hijack.FolderOptions) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER_\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\DisableRegistryTools (Hijack.Regedit) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully
    Folders Infected:
    Files Infected:

This is the log from the last time I ran Malwarebytes. The time before that there were 4 total infected files and I think they were the same or similar files. After the computer restart, the internet still didn't work... which is what has always happened, even when Malwarebytes didn't find any infected files (on some previous tries). Also something odd that happens when I start up Malwarebytes is a window pops up saying "HP Deskjet 5100 Series Preparing to install" and I have to cancel out of it a couple times. I have no idea why that would trigger something for my printer to install.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Here's some more info on other things that are happening since I removed the fake antivirus...

When my computer starts up, I get 4 error windows that pop up immidiately. Here is what they say:

RUNDLL
    Error loading C:\DOCUME~1\KYLEBL~1\ntload.dll
    The specified module could not be found.

They all say the same thing just 4 different files after "Error loading", there's the one above and...
    C:\DOCUME~1\KYLEBL~1\ntuser.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\calc.dll
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\notepad.dll

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    When I open internet explorer and it tries to connect to whatever page I enter (homepage included) i get the following showing on the screen. I'm afraid to click on anything because I'm afraid its still part of that fake antivirus because this kind of screen would should when the fake antivirus was running.

(theres a "i" with a circle around it and blue inside the circle)
    Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    (this line has a solid line under it that goes across the page)
    Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet
    The website is encountering problems
    There might be a typing error in the address
    What you can try:
    Diagnose Connection Problems (this is a blue highlighted link)
    More information (this is a blue highlighted link also)

When explorer is trying to connect to whatever site the following shows up in the bottom left hand corner of explorer's window:

"Connecting to site 127.0.0.1"
    followed by
    "Waiting for res//ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm"

That's all the info I can think of to give you. I hope any and all of this helps. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to volunteer to help me with my problem! I GREATLY appreciate any and all help!

Hello there Welcome to the Help2Go Forums.
    My name is NeonFx. I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems. Logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me.

Please note the following:
    • The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used on this machine.
    • Please continue to review my answers until I tell you your machine appears to be clean. Absence of symptoms does not necessarily mean that the system is completely clean.
    • It's often worth reading through these instructions and printing them for ease of reference. I may ask you to boot into Safe Mode where you will be unable to follow my instructions online.
    • If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to say or ask!! It's better to be sure and safe than sorry.
    • Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.

Step 1

Download OTS to your Desktop

• Close ALL OTHER PROGRAMS.
    • Double-click on OTS.exe to start the program.
    • Check the box that says Scan All Users
    • Under Basic Scans please change all of the options from Safe List to All.
    • Files Created Within and Files Modified Within should be set to File Age.
    • Under Additional Scans check the following:
      • Reg - Desktop Components
      • Reg - Disabled MS Config Items
      • Reg - NetSvcs
      • Reg - Shell Spawning
      • Reg - Uninstall List
      • File - Lop Check
      • File - Purity Scan
      • Evnt - EvtViewer (last 10)

• Please paste the contents of the following codebox into the Custom Scans box at the bottom

Code:
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    eventlog.dll
    scecli.dll
    netlogon.dll
    cngaudit.dll
    sceclt.dll
    ntelogon.dll
    logevent.dll
    iaStor.sys
    nvstor.sys
    atapi.sys
    IdeChnDr.sys
    viasraid.sys
    AGP440.sys
    vaxscsi.sys
    nvatabus.sys
    viamraid.sys
    nvata.sys
    nvgts.sys
    iastorv.sys
    ViPrt.sys
    eNetHook.dll
    ahcix86.sys
    KR10N.sys
    nvstor32.sys
    ahcix86s.sys
    nvrd32.sys
    symmpi.sys
    adp3132.sys
    mv61xx.sys
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
    %systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\system32\drivers\*.sys /lockedfiles
    %systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav
    • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
    • Let it run unhindered until it finishes.
    • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
    • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.

To ensure that I get all the information this log will need to be attached. Please attach the log in your next post. To do so click on the blue "Post Reply" button or "Go Advanced" and click on the "Manage Attachments" button. You will get a dialog where you can "Browse..." for the file.

Step 2

GMER Rootkit Scanner
    Please download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:
    • Main Mirror
      This version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)
    • Zipped Mirror
      This version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.
    • Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs. Make sure you disable your security programs as well, as they may interfere with the program.
    • Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.
    • Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.

• GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)
    • If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.
    • Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.
    • When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.
    • Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.
    • Exit GMER and re-enable your security programs when done.

Hi NeonFX, thank you so much for taking the time to work with me and help me with my problem. Unfortunately, as I explained in my post, I can't execute Step 1 and Step 2 because I am unable to access any websites on my computer at home (the infected comp). I am using my computer at work to access this site to ask for help. Is there any way I can download these things without having to access a website? Thanks again for your help and patience.

Can you download them on this computer and transfer them using a flash drive or some other media?

You can save the custom scan as a text file and copy and paste from there.

The site in the link in Step 1 is blocked here at work. Is there another place to get the OTS thing? I was able to download the GMER through the main mirror. If I can get the OTS on this comp, I'll bring my flash drive and try to transfer all this to my comp at home.

I've uploaded it for you HERE

It will only download the OTS as a text document.

It downloads just fine for me. When you mouse over the item you will see a "More" button appear to the right. Try clicking on that and then on "download".

Or here: http://drop.io/neonsdrop/asset/ots-exe

I don't know what's wrong but each time I clicked to download each different way you suggested, everytime it shows up as a text file as "OTS.txt". I tried sending it from that site in an email to myself at 3 different email addresses and they all blocked it. I'm sorry this is being such a pain.

Can you get the zipped version off of an attachment here? :
    Last edited by NeonFx; 02-26-2010 at 11:53 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast