Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default isapnp.sy is missing or corrupt issue

Hi. I have a Dell inspiron laptop and the thing has went haywire on me. It has been broken for about 6 months now and I decided to take one more stab at it. Here is my problem.

While running superantispyware, I let the computer go and the screen went blank because I hadn't touched a key in ten minutes. When I hit the key the computer would never go back to a sign on but went black. I am able to get to safe mode and try that but when I do I recieve

isapnp.sy is missing or corrupt.

Heres what I tried thus far unsuccessfully

1. chkdsk along with both r and p

2. ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\isapnp.sys isapnp.old and then tried to reinstall with this option.

3. tried to reinstall windows with my xp disc. My drive doesn't recongnize this so this is not an option.

When I go to my setup order cd rom is number one. However, no matter what order I put in, the computer only recongnizes 3 things number 4,5 and 7 like fixed disc, diagnostics and something else. 1,2,3, and 6 aren't even on the setup even though they are in the bios order.

I can see all my drives and actually looked up my partations(sp). That was when you put in a command and the last thing you write is "DIR". I forget the actual command. I hope you know what I'm talking about.

All of this has been unsuccessful. Any ideas, I'm willing to try anything because this computer is going in the garbage if I can't fix it. Don't be afraid to try something off the wall basically is what I'm saying. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

Hi DWARE94,

tried to reinstall windows with my xp disc.
    Is that a CD (recovery disk) that came with the laptop or is it a retail version of XP that you purchased? We need to know what type of disk it is that you have.

Have you tried a system restore while in safe mode?

Also, what model # is your Dell Inspiron? There may be a Recovery Partition on your model usually named D: If there is or to find out if there is, when the system boots, immediately press the ctrl and F11 keys at the same time and you should enter the Dell Recovery Restore Utility if there is one. This will restore your system back to the way it was shipped from the factory.

After you enter the Dell Recovery Restore Utility, just follow the instructions and the restore should complete in approximately 8-15 minutes, depending on how much data is to be restored.

When the restore is complete and the system reboots, you will need to enter all the user information as you did when you originally started the system.

Let us know how you get on.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Thanks for response. I used the reinstallation cd already installed in your computer. It was the one that came with the computer. I also tried my other cd, which is the same one as this, and nothing.

I can't do anything in safe mode because once it starts it shows all the drives and once it gets to the isapnp it just stops and say's its corrupt.

I tried the ctrl f11 and nothing happened.

Any ideas? Like I said I'll try anything because the computer going in the garbage if I can't get it fixed now. Thanks again for the response.

You're welcome DWARE94,

Hang in there for a bit, please, while I research this further. The links below involves a technique that I haven't dealt with in awhile and need to refresh my memory so don't toss the laptop out just yet. It can be fixed though you may have to use an offline bootable disk as mentioned below.

While you're awaiting my return, please have a look at this thread here and click on the link in jam's post (2nd post). That link will take you here where techotribe mentions using ubcd4win (Ultimate Boot CD for Windows) to access the system and correct the problem that way. It can be a bit tedious. Just depends on how much effort you want to put into that laptop.

Other members who are more experienced with ubcd4win may post as well. There are other "offline" bootable live environments that can be used also such as Bart's PE and Linux.

Thanks!
    Last edited by DonnaB; 06-25-2011 at 06:31 AM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Thanks again for your help. The only problem I have here is nothing in my cd rom works. If I did get that disc how would I know it will boot up; this of course is if I read it right. I can however get into the recovery console where you have to put 1 for the system and then enter your administrator password. I don't know what commands would work. Thanks again, i'll wait for your reply.

Here's an off the wall idea. First off I don't even know if it's possible.

I have a dell inspiron b130 that works fine. Can I take the hard drive out of the Dell 1501 and put it in the B130 and reinstall windows that way from the B130? Then, put it back in the 1501?

Question 1 Would that harm my working computer at all?

Question 2 Is that possible?

lmk thanks

Hi DWARE,

I'd leave the HD where it is for the moment.

There's a strong indication that there's an infection on your laptop that I am not qualified to deal with at this time. I'll have an Admin/Mod move you to our Spyware Forum.

There may be a wait due to being short staffed in that forum so your patience will be needed.

Thank you,

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 06-26-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I am transferring this thread to the Spyware Forum.

Member Spyware Fighter

Hello,
    Are you able to Burn CD's and have access to a USB Flash drive?
    " Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Spware Help forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.
    HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
    Thanks-

Member Spyware Fighter

Hello.

Are you still there?

If you are please follow the instructions in my previous post.

If you still need help, follow the instructions I have given in my response. If you have since had your problem solved, we would appreciate you letting us know so we can close the topic.

Please reply back telling us so. If you don't reply within 3-5 days the topic will need to be closed.

Thanks for understanding

With Regards,
    fireman4it
    " Extinguishing Malware from the world"

The Spware Help forum is very busy. If I'm helping you and I've not posted back within 24 hrs., send a PM with your topic link. Thank you.
    HELP REQUESTS VIA THE PM SYSTEM WILL BE IGNORED. The Forums are there for a reason!
    Thanks-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast