Default Is vipre a good antivirus?

im already using a premium 2011 version of vipre.. is it a good antivirus?

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Vipre comes in at #10 of the top 25 antivirus programs as per this study AntiVirus Software Review 2011 | Compare Best AntiVirus Sofware - TopTenREVIEWS . You will note, that for the same price, you could buy the #1 program. Check out other antivirus review sites to get a better handle on this. Many of our members are using the free versions of Avast, AVG and Avera and also the free Microsoft Security Essentials which has received excellent reviews.

If I may add my 2 cents!

Paid or free, no AV will protect you from infection if your surfing habits are poor. Personally, I use Avast 6.0.1289 which is free. It also includes a special security feature called AutoSandbox which allows potentially suspicious applications to be automatically run in a completely isolated environment. It does not include a firewall but I have Vista which has a pretty good inbound and outbound firewall. And for spyware I use SpywareBlaster.

As Canuck mentions above Microsoft Security Essentials is a great free program as well that includes protection against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software. This we have installed on our Win7 that has a pretty good inbound/outbound firewall as well.

For our XP we also have Microsoft Security Essentials and the Comodo Firewall due to XP's firewall is limited to inbound traffic only.

Personally, I don't like Avira since they have partnered with Uniblue registry cleaner and ASK toolbar. And AVG is somewhat bloated.

Basically comes down to what best fits your needs and if you want to pay the price for something you can get for free! Personally, I like free!

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"