Thread: Smart hdd

Angry Smart hdd

My Windows XP computer is infected with SMART HDD. Almost everything on my computer is hidden or disabled. I can not download the software to do the logs you requested, even from a cd from a clean computer. I tried an unhide program and Malwarebytes hidden scan (camelion) and they will not work either. Most of my internet attempts are misdirected. Can you help me with such a crazy problem?

Hi Anthony McGill,

Are you able to boot to the Advanced Boot Options menu at all by tapping the F8 key and choosing Safe Mode?

Let's see if this helps:

Download Malwarebytes to the desktop of the clean computer then right click on the mbam_setup.exe file to rename it to iexplore.exe before transferring to the CD. Then launch iexplore.exe in order to install Malwarebytes' Anti-malware on the infected computer.

Let us know if that helps.
    Last edited by DonnaB; 03-31-2012 at 05:57 AM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Default Smart hdd

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaB View Post
    Hi Anthony McGill,

Are you able to boot to the Advanced Boot Options menu at all by tapping the F8 key and choosing Safe Mode?

Let's see if this helps:

Download Malwarebytes to the desktop of the clean computer then right click on the mbam_setup.exe file to rename it to iexplore.exe before transferring to the CD. Then launch iexplore.exe in order to install Malwarebytes' Anti-malware on the infected computer.

Let us know if that helps.
    After about 9 tries I was able to download the program and kill the SMART HDD program as per your suggestion. Unfortunately this virus takes your entire desktop and most of your startup shortcuts and puts them in a temp file which one of the virus programs I ran, deleted. So about 60% of my shortcuts are gone, I guess for good. I was hoping that once I got rid of this virus I could just do a restore to a previrus date and everything would be back to near normal, I tried several previrus dates to restore to but none work. I tried the Malwarebytes unhide program but it says the needed temp file is empty. How incredibly frustrating! Thank you for your help. Next I tried to reload XP to just do a repair of the missing icons and of course that did not work either. Any other suggestions?

Hi Anthony Mcgill,

I will give you another set of instructions to follow, after that could you wait for our expert to reply to your thread here, before doing anymore scans or changes on the computer.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
    • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
    • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
    • Notepad will open with the results.
    • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
    • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
    Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

Joe

Default All Set

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    Hi Anthony Mcgill,

I will give you another set of instructions to follow, after that could you wait for our expert to reply to your thread here, before doing anymore scans or changes on the computer.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
    • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
    • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
    • Notepad will open with the results.
    • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
    • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
    Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

Joe

Thank you Joe, I have painstakingly created new shortcuts for everything that was on my desktop and startup menu and everything seems to be working now.
    Tony

Hi Tony,

You really should follow zep's advice and post a DDS scan and have our expert take a look. Just because the symptoms are gone doesn't necessarily mean the malware has been removed completely.

@ zep516: Thanks for your help in my absence.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"