Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question regarding Anti-spyware log (Super Antispyware)

Hello

I am nwe here and appreciate the opportunity to be part of this community. I am not "tech" savy, but hope with your help to becoe better at this. Thank you for being patient with me.

I am running Windows XP, Service Pak 3, I am having a lot of issues: slow, crashes, message on advanced tab in Crontol Panel ()Windows Firewall) there is a message with an explaination mark stating that the "Network Connection settings have become corrupted" I did as it says, to restore default....but notheing changes.

I want to run the "Removing Viruses and Spware" progams on your website, however, before I start, I want to be sure that I am doiong tis correctlhy,

Qustions: Am I first supposed to remove the Microsoft Security Essentials that I have installed.
    also.........Do I need to be in "safe mode" before downloading the steps you outline ?

I had several other programs installed at the same time (until I realized that this was not the correct thing to so)....so, I am thinking that this might have been a part of some of the problems that I am having because of them being in conflict wih each other. I atempted to remove them but I am not sure if they are all gone since I read that remenants of some of them will still be there.

My hopes are that with time and patience I amy be able to make my computer"wel" again.

Thank you for your help.

I

Hi Kateri,

Welcome to Help2Go

Questions: Am I first supposed to remove the Microsoft Security Essentials that I have installed.
    also.........Do I need to be in "safe mode" before downloading the steps you outline ?
    No! and No! Let us know if there is any difficulty running any scans, please see the additional scans we need below.

Additional scans to run

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:
    • Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
    • A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
    • Notepad will open with the results.
    • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
    • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
    Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

Please download aswMBR ( 511KB ) to your desktop.
    • Double click the aswMBR.exe icon to run it
    • Click the Scan button to start the scan
    • On completion of the scan, click the save log button, save it to your desktop and post it in your next reply.

Joe

Hi Spyware fighter,

Thank you for your response to my question. I rean the Super Antispyware and it found over 500 items. Then I was going to run Malwarebytes (the second step) and it recommended to disable the firewall and antivirus programs before starting it. I went to the control panel and did not see how to disabe it. I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
    I am following the5 steps recommended and then will do the steps you recommended.
    Thanks
    Kateri

Hi Kateri,

There may be information on how to disable those HERE

If not just proceed with the scan.

Joe

Hi ZEP516

Thank you for the message....I decided to go ahead with the steps you told me to follow. so far it found over 500 in the first scan. I am now doing step 2 aand it has detected 1 object, so far but I just started it. I will keep following all of the steps you recommended and post what the results are. I am excited to see what happens because my computer has been taking up so much time to do anything.....hours pass before you realize it and also the level of frustration sometimes gets to you when you are trying to figure out what to do to make it work......I am elated that there is apossibility for it to improve!! Thank you and others who are helping and sharing your knowledge.
    Kateri

Hi
    It's Kateri again....I need some help....Please...if anyone has any knowledge of this problem...

A problem that is on-going is that FixCleaner (rouge software) is on our Windows XP SP3 and we cannot uninstall or delete it
    It shows up in the folowing locations after a Search but DOES NOT SHOW ON THE LIST OF PROGRAMS!!

1. FixCleaner C:\Programfiles
    2. FixCleaner C:\Programfiles\FixCleaner Application
    3. FixCleaner C:\Programfiles\FixCleaner InterNet Shortcut
    4. FixCleaner Scan C:\WINNT\Tasks
    5. FixCleaner Exe D:\Windows\PreFetch
    6. FixCleaner Scan D:\ Windows\Tasks
    7. FixCleaner I:\114 Back Up
    8. FixCleaner Scan I:\June EDisk BU\Windows
    9. FixCleaner Scan I:\ June EDisk BU\WINNT\TB…..

In going to STEP 3 i.e. to install and run an anti-virus program we did download and installed Avast software. During the installation of Avast a FixCleaner dialog box would appear telling about some number of threats and did we want them Fixed? we say no and then in a short period of time FixCleaner reappears and we select Abort. We know that having more than one Anti-Virus program running that there could be some conflict - so we contacted Avast support telling them of our problem in running Avast and they said that FixCleaner is a Virus and it would cost us $100 if they got rid of it for us.

We normally have been running with Microsoft Security Essentials which gives us a Firewall, Automatic Updates but no virus protecrion this is why we were going to step 3. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions/recommendations.

Keep moving as you are, run the Malwarebytes program, and post all logs asked for. We can look at the fixcleaner issue when we see logs. Most important thing is to get the logs to us.

Joe

Default Question about the logs

Quote Originally Posted by zep516 View Post
    Keep moving as you are, run the Malwarebytes program, and post all logs asked for. We can look at the fixcleaner issue when we see logs. Most important thing is to get the logs to us.

Joe
    Hi again,
    thanks for reply....a question...how do I get the logs? Aare they somewhere in my computer after scanning? I apologize but am just learning.
    I will try and proceed with what you advised me to do..
    thanks
    Kateri

Hi Joe,
    Just wanted to let you know I watched the video about how to acquire the logs....so I think I understand how to do it now.
    Again, thatnk yo for your time and help.
    Kateri

You're welcome those logs should just pop up in front of you after the scan is done, usually in notepad, then just copy the log and paste it into a reply here.
    Last edited by zep516; 08-21-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast