Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Malwarebytes (2nd recommended step to help find computer problem.

Hi again,

have a question...I am trying to run Malwarebytes (the 2nd step you recommend doing to prepare to submit the logs.) Is Malwarebytes a free scan? I am confused when I go the website.

Thank you for your help.
    Kateri

Hi Kateri,

Pleasure to meet you! I'm sorry you had to wait so long for a reply.

Let's see if I can get you on the right path here. I had been following the thread you started >>HERE<< (you can left click on the red word and it will take you to the other thread you started last week.)

Is that other post concerning the same computer that you are trying to run Malwarebytes on now?

If so, it might be best if we have one of the guys open that thread back up for you. It is best to keep all the information concerning the same computer in one thread. They can even move these posts to that thread. Let me know if they are the same computer or not. Ok!

Yes. Malwarebytes is a free scan. There is also a version that you pay a one time fee for. Let me give you a better set of instructions to follow that has a different link for you to click on. I hope this helps. If not, please do stop and ask any questions you'd like. I'll do my best to answer them for you.

Please read the instructions below all the way through before proceeding

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.
    • Click on the words above.
    • Next look for and click on the Download Now button with the arrow to the left that is pointing down.
    • In the little box that pops up, click on the words Save file and save it to your desktop so you can find it.
    • Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
    • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
      Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and
      Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Click Finish.
    • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
    • Once the program has loaded, be sure Quick scan is selected, then click Scan.
    • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
    • Be sure that everything is checked, EXCEPT items in System Restore as shown in this sample:
    • Click Remove Selected.
    • When disinfection is completed, a log will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See the Note below)
    • The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
    • Please post contents of that file in your next reply.

** Note **

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

Also, here are some instructions on how to copy and paste the log into a reply box so you can post the results:

How to copy and paste the contents from notepad into a reply box.

• Left Click "anywhere" within the notepad box then Right click and choose Select All from the list of options and all the text within the notepad box should turn blue. Now Right again and choose Copy.
    • Next, come to your thread here at Help2Go and left click in the Quick reply box at the bottom of the page. Right click and choose Paste from the list of options.
    • Next, scroll down and click on Submit Reply

Remember, if you have any questions at all, please do not hesitate to ask.

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 09-28-2012 at 06:45 AM.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Hello Donna,
    I tired to post a message last night but was unsuccessful. I am not sure why it wouldn't accept it. I had already established a user name and password but it said I couldn't post and to "refresh and try again..I did that and it still didn't work. It was getting very late....so I stopped trying. I hope this works....

Thank you for taking the time to help me with the detailed instructions. Yes, it is the same computer. Do I ask the administrator to link this message with my original ones? I am going to try and work on this today and appreciate your offer of help. The Tech world is so complex!! I am happy I found this forum. I have high hopes that my computer will get "healed" (or at least partially healed)
    Thank you again,
    Kateri

Hi Kateri,

Not sure why you had trouble posting last might. It could have been many things that caused that. The important thing is you were able to post this time.

Ok. So it is the same computer. Let's not worry about the threads at the moment. The important thing is to get Malwarebytes installed and see the log it produces.

Let me know if you need help or have questions with anything you do not understand.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Hi Again Donna
    Thanks for the message.....I am having problems getting anything to work right with my computer. When I log on, it takes forever for the home page to come up. Everything I try to do it seems to crash. Then I have to shut the computer down and start all over again. I is actually driving me a bit "bonkers" I must have some king of "bug" anyway I did as you said in your instructions....clicked on mawareware bytes and then did not see any drop down box to choose the desktop. Not sure what I am doing wrong but when I first posted I was in the process of going through the steps and had downloaded malwarebytes to I believe the D drive.....not the desktop. I think that it has expired not (malwarebytes) Not sure if I can download it again....I wish SI were more computer savvy.....but maybe I will get there....if I don't just give up!
    Thanks.....I am going to try again to download...sometimes my computer has a message it has to close down and....then when I am trying to accomplish something it takes so much time because I have to log on again and wait for it to load on again....which takes a very long time....I keep hearing something running in the background....not sure what is going on here
    Maybe I can get to the bottom of it....just keep telling myself to patient.....Yikes!!! In my dreams I am wishing I can become a "Geek""!

Thanks
    Kateri

Hi Kateri,

In the first post of your other thread you mentioned "Safe Mode". Will the computer boot to "Safe Mode"? If so, please try that, but once you get to the Advanced Boot Options screen choose "Safe Mode with Networking" instead of just "Safe Mode".

Do you have a USB FlashDrive and another computer in the house just in case files need to be transferred?

I'll be here off and on all night if you need questions answered or further guidance. Keep me informed to your progress.

Donna

Hi Donna

I just wrote you a note and it said that I didn't have permission to refresh and log on again....so I did....hope it works this time.
    I do have a laptop I am using it now to send this message to you. I am more used to the desktop...but this helps to look at when I am trying to figure something on on the desktopl

I did dwhat you said (pressed F8 to get into safe mode and then went to the "safe mode with networking" I am not familiar with safe mode or safe mode with networking...but I am learning....thanks to you!!

I ran the malwarebytes but my computer shut down and not sure if the results are still there. May have to run MB again...

Is you time zone different than mine? I tis now 5:22PM.
    Thanks
    Kateri

Hi Kateri,

You must be on the West Coast. I am in Illinois. 2 hrs ahead of you. No work tomorrow so I'll be up late.

As posted by Kateri;
    I do have a laptop I am using it now to send this message to you. I am more used to the desktop...but this helps to look at when I am trying to figure something on on the desktop
    Great! I do that also. Do you have a USB Flash Drive? We may need one to transfer files from the laptop to the desktop. It's not hard to do once you do it the first time.

As posted by Kateri;
    I ran the malwarebytes but my computer shut down and not sure if the results are still there. May have to run MB again...
    How long did the scan run? Do you know if the scan finished on it's own or did the computer shut down while it was still scanning? Did it get to the point where it looked similar to the picture above with the check marks to the left of the entries and you were able to click on Remove Selected? It will ask you to reboot to remove the files it found.

Open MBAM (malwarebytes) and click on the Logs tab at the top. Is there a log that is dated for the time that you ran MBAM today? Should be the first one from the top.

And you're welcome!

Donna
    Last edited by DonnaB; 09-29-2012 at 09:02 PM.

Hi Donna
    I am in Califonia

I hope this works...here goes...

I guess it did not work. I selected the log and copied it and tried to paste it here. What do I need to do?
    Thanks
    Kateri

Hi Donna,

I just looked at the logs and the one I did today is not there. There are several others that I did with different dates.....I guess I need to repeat so it is current. I did not understand how to do this and like I said, my computer was crashing every once in a while. but the logs were there in the Malwraebytes log section just as yu said except for the one I did today....not sure why that happened.
    Thanks
    Kateri

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast