Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Windows 7 Admin and User...are virus protection and cleaners used on both?

running Windows 7 on Dell desktop. We us "user" for browsing.

using:
    spybot
    ccleaner
    malewarebytes
    microsoft security essentials
    superantispyware

when I run ccleaner on "user' it does the cleaning. then when I run ccleaner on admin it cleans different files. I thought if I ran ccleaner on either a
    Admin or User it would clean both.

I sign into Admin then switch to User for browsing. when I open Spybot, Malewarebytes in User mode it says "not signed in as Admin". So I go swithch back to Admin mode and run the programs. Is Spybot and Maleware cleaning the User files when I run it in Admin mode?

Moderator Forum Moderator evilfantasy's Avatar

CCleaner only cleans the user account you are logged in to. A disk cleaner for all accounts would be something like TFC - Temp File Cleaner by OldTimer.

TFC is a very powerful temp file cleaner and does not need to be run on a daily basis like you would CCleaner. Some temp files actually benefit Windows helping it respond quicker to different actions. I run TFC once every other month or so. If you don't use an account very often then you really don't need to run CCleaner every day either. I'll run CCleaner once a week at most on my main user account.

TFC requires a restart after it's done cleaning so before running it be sure to close all browser windows and save any work.

Your antivirus and antimalware should be protecting all user accounts so no need to worry about running a scan from each account.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to evilfantasy For This Useful Post:

Couldn't contain myself from adding my opinion concerning Ccleaner?

Recently I have come across many users that have Ccleaner installed and their main reason for asking for help was due to registry corruption. They did admit that they did use the registry cleaner found in Ccleaner. We advise not to use this or any registry cleaner as there have been reports of them clearing out needed registry entries and messing up PCs. In addition, what they do clean up is so small that little or no advantages are noticed.

Modifying registry keys incorrectly can cause Windows instability, or make Windows unbootable. No registry cleaner is completely safe and the potential is ever present to cause more problems than they claim to fix.

Registry cleaners cannot distinguish between good and bad. If you run a registry cleaner, it will delete all those keys which are obsolete and sitting idle; but in reality, those keys may well be needed by some programs or windows at a later time.

I have to admit, I use Ccleaner myself, though I would be able to spot if a legit registry key was targeted for removal by Ccleaner, many users think that if Ccleaner found it, then it is bad. Not true.

TFC is a great program that I recommend faithfully to the novice, average user.
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Thanks Donna,

I was under the impression that you should run CCleaner every day to help the speed of booting.

I will load TFC and run it also. my laptop is about 4 years old and takes a while to boot, however it is tolerable. Are there any other "protective" downloads you suggest?

You're welcome ceyermann,

Personally, I would follow evilfantasy's lead and run Ccleaner once a week at the most. The default settings in Ccleaner include clearing out Windows Log files and Memory Dumps. These are very important log files that might be needed to diagnosis and find solutions. I would recommend un-checking those options found under Windows > System in the user interface of Ccleaner. Ccleaner is not a fix all for slow booting computers. There are many other factors involved as well such as file corruption, hardware failure, etc., etc.

Back in May you started this thread concerning Whitesmoke search. Even though Malwarebytes and Spybot found and removed the virus doesn't necessarily mean you have a clean machine. Many residual files may be lurking in the back ground not to mention other nasties.

If you would like for me to take a more indepth look, I'd be more than happy to, though once I request logs from you I will have to involve my instructor and my replies may be delayed till my recommendations are approved by my instructor. Especially if any hidden malware is found. I'll leave the choice up to you but I don't think that just disabling Whitesmoke will solve the problem. It is very aggressive and needs to be verified that all the files are/were removed from your computer.

Let me know if you would like to proceed with a thorough cleaning, or not.

Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Just to add. The Windows Operating System today is a far cry from the ones of the past. Windows is more robust, HDD's are bigger and better and most computer systems have more and better RAM as well as faster processors. Windows handles temp files much more efficiently and doesn't store as many temp files that aren't needed like it used to. Disk cleaners have their place and are needed on occasion, just not as frequently as they once were needed.

And as Donna said, for slow booting computers or just a computer getting slower over time there are many factors involved. Computer components degrade over time. Replacing or upgrading RAM, the cooling fan (you should check for and remove the dust from your cooling vents and fan now and then also) and/or upgrading or replacing your video card are sometimes the best or only options to improve performance. For laptops you can buy a better power cord. More voltage, better performance (65, 90, 120 watts). Depending on what the computer is used for the power cord upgrade may not make a noticeable difference but it is an option. HDD's gradually slow down and eventually die too. Then there is PC Diagnostics Tools you can run to check out/diagnose hardware performance.

Browser add-ons will slow down a browser. The software installed over time adds background processes. And so on...

Some basic maintenance includes uninstalling any software you don't use or need including browser add-ons. Restart the computer every now and then to reduce the running processes that aren't needed (I try to at least once a week) and clear out your RAM. If you are going to be away from the computer for half of the day or more just shut it off so it can cool down. Heat is a big enemy of performance especially on older systems.

I agree with Donna in checking for malware. It never hurts to get a second opinion.

Keep up to date with Windows Updates. Besides security patches they include stability and performance fixes.

Defrag when needed (third party defrag software is better than the built in Windows defrag). You can over-stress the HDD by defragging too often so only defrag when needed. Defraggler is my favorite and it has a 'Disk Diagnostics' option to help determine when it needs to be defragged.

Our help here is always free but it does cost money to keep the site running. If you feel we've helped you, Please Donate to the Forum

9. The Following User Says Thank You to evilfantasy For This Useful Post:

Yes I would appreciate your assistance "cleaning up" the Whitesmoke leftovers.

Thank you for your great info. I use Auslogics defrag and run it often. usually everyday. Is this to often?

Quote Originally Posted by ceyermann View Post
    I use Auslogics defrag and run it often. usually everyday. Is this to often?
    Personally I would say yes. Auslogics is a very good option but I would suggest turning off the Auto-Defragmentation setting and only running it when needed. If your HDD is 250 GB or bigger you should have plenty of free space to get you by for a while without a defrag. Or unless you do a LOT of installing/uninstalling of software or creating/deleting other large media or office files then a defrag isn't necessary on a daily or maybe even weekly basis. I think once a month at most is fine but I hardly ever defrag mine more than twice a year.

If your HDD is 250 GB or bigger and is nearly full then I would suggest getting a portable drive or large flash drive or two and move your personal files onto it. That will clear up space and improve performance as well as having a backup that isn't on your main HDD.

Auslogics has an article on 'Why Should I Defragment My Hard Drive.' Look under the 'Conflicting opinions about when to defragment your hard drive' section. It pretty much agrees with what I have said. Also keep in mind that reading articles published by any software vendor will usually be a little biased because they want people using their software. A good unbiased article can be found here. 'What is 'defragging' and why should I do it?' It also explains better what I said before about newer systems needing less maintenance than the older ones (look under 'But do I need to defrag?') The article gives some information I was never aware of until now.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask Leo - But do I need to defrag?
    Windows 7 does it for you.

Beginning in Windows 7, there's an automatically scheduled weekly task to defragment your hard disks. Once a week is just fine and you need do nothing more.
    So you may want to check your Task Scheduler to see if Windows is already taking care of the defrag maintenance for you. Auslogics may have stopped the task when you installed it so if it's not set to run then that's probably why.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to evilfantasy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ceyermann View Post
    Yes I would appreciate your assistance "cleaning up" the Whitesmoke leftovers.
    That is great news! Please follow the instructions below and provide the necessary logs:

Please download OTL to your Desktop
    • Double click on the to run the program. On Vista/Win7 or 8 right click and select Run As Administrator to start the program. If prompted by UAC, please allow it.
    • Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
    • Click the Scan All Users checkbox
      and
    • Check the option for All under the Extra Registry section
    • Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan won't take long.
      • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
      • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the contents of these files and post them in your topic

• OTL.txt <-- Will be opened, maximized
    • Extras.txt <-- Will be minimized on task bar.

Please post the contents of both OTL.txt and Extras.txt files in your next reply.

Next:

Download AdwCleaner
    • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
      ***Note: Windows Vista/Windows 7 users please right click and select Run as administrator
    • Click the Search button.
    • A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
    • Please post the content of that logfile in your next reply.
    • Or you can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[xx].txt where xx denotes the number of times the application has been run

Please provide the following logs in your next reply:

OTL.txt
    Extras.txt
    AdwCleaner[XX].txt

Please allow time for me to view the logs and discuss with my instructor.

Thank you,

Donna

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast