Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default windows explorer

my windows explorer has stoped working. I cant acess any thing. What should i do

Hi horrocorian,

Welcome to Help2Go!

I do apologize for the delay in responding. Could you please explain in detail as to what you are experiencing when starting your computer?

What operating system is installed? (such as Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8)
    Does the computer start at all, but you just can't get to the desktop?
    Have you tried starting the computer in Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key?

Thank you.
    Donna
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

If your problem is solved, here's how to say thanks!

Very proud parent of a U.S. Navy "CB"

"People may forget what you say,
    People may forget what you did,
    but People will never forget how you made them feel!"

Question Windows not working

That won't help coz When i boot my computer. it boots untill it shows starting windows. Then it shows welcome. Just when its about to show the desktop it shows a blue screen and then switches off. And restarts by it self..
    Do you think its a virus causing it and what should i do .
    Am operating WINDOWS 7. On a dell laptop
    Last edited by horrocorian; 05-01-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Not clear

Hi horrocorian,

Could very well be a virus. The same happens when trying to get to Safe Mode?

We're going to need a know clean second computer and a USB Flash Drive that is at least 4 GB's in size to find out. Do you have one, or could you borrow one from a friend or family member?

Do you know if your OS is 32 or 64-bit?
    If you think you might be infected with malware or have recently cleansed your computer of malware without the help of an expert, please read and follow the instructions in How to Start Removing Viruses and Spyware from your Computer. This can alleviate time consumed in trouble shooting your current computer problems.

Default horrocorian

My computer is 16 bit. And i can find a friends laptop to use. And i have a 8gb external usb storage. Will that do. If it will
    what next should i do

Perfect! The 8GB usb will do, but I think you might be confused about your system being 16-bit. I have never heard of that, especially for a Windows 7, but that's ok. We can get logs using the usb and your friends laptop and the logs will tell me more. I'll go ahead and post the instructions so that when you get the laptop you can proceed to execute the instructions and get me the logs to post in your next reply.

Please do as follows:

First:

I hope your friend don't mind that I have you install the following 2 programs which will protect his laptop from the spread of infection. He should keep these installed since they will be beneficial in the future:

1. Download CryptoPrevent free for home use here following the instructions below.
    2. Save the file to your desktop from the link above and then open the program by clicking Run when prompted from your browser or by going to the desktop where the file was saved and double-clicking.
    3. Accept all the defaults during the install. The last screen of the install has a checkmark in "Launch CryptoPrevent". This is good and will launch the program once you click Finish.
    4. You will get a prompt asking if you purchased a Product Key for Automatic Updates. You can answer No.
    5. You will then be prompted to learn more about automatic updates or if you want to purchase a key. This is up to you but you don't have to.
    6. You will then be prompted to apply all default protections. Answer Yes.
    7. You may get a message stating that Windows Sidebar and Desktop Gadgets are a major security vulnerability and asking you if you want to disable them. If you don't use these features, answer Yes.
    8. That's it. The protection is in place.

Note: The free version doesn't provide automatic updates. Periodically, you should open up the program (there is a shortcut on your desktop now) and select the Updates! menu....and select Check for Updates to see if there are any as this infection has serious consequences.

Next:

Download McShield2 to your desktop and install with default settings.
    In the control center, select scanner and check unhide items on flash drives

Anytime you plug in a USB drive, McShield will scan the device.

Then post the log which will be found here:

Start > all programs > MCShield (folder) > MCShield Control Center > logs > all scans

If you would, please post the log using the clean computer before proceeding with the next set of instructions.

Next:

On your friends clean computer, please download both versions of FRST below:

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
    For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected/problem PC.

Note: To find out which version is compatible with your system, try running both of them. Only one of them will run on your system, that will be the right version.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
    • Restart the computer.
    • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Select US as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
    • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
    • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
    System Restore
    Windows Complete PC Restore
    Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
    Command Prompt
    • Select Command Prompt

Next:
    • In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
    • The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
    • Select Computer and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
    • In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
      Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
    • The tool will start to run.
    • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
    • Press Scan button.
    • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the flash drive. Please copy and paste this log in your Topic.

If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask.

In the meantime, I will move this topic to the Spyware Help forum.

Thank you,
    Donna

A new problem has just popped up. My hard disk is no longer showing in my system. I do not know if it is spoilt or corrupted

What happens when you try to boot the computer?

Can you boot it to the Advanced Boot Options menu and click on Repair your computer? If so, we might be able to access a command prompt from there to run chkdsk /r.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DonnaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks. A lot for the tip. Dona.
    My computer has started booting again. And the hard disk is no longer corrupted after i did that disk scan. So now we are back to the windows explorer part. Coz after my system boots and shows me welcome. It shows a blank desktop with the start bar at the buttom. Then in the next 2 seconds it shows me windows explorer has stop working. And windows explorer is restarting. And it continues doing that until i off it
    THANK YOU

Hi horrocorian,

That's fairly good news. That scan must have fixed some corrupted files. Do you recall if you saw anything about bad sectors in the results from the scan. Those scans do not provide logs when ran from recovery environment so I can see what was fixed.

Lets go back to my instructions in post #6 now. I need you to run that scan so I can see what is going on. Are you still able to borrow a friends computer?

If worst comes to worst, I will need to know if your computer is 32 or 64-bit. There are 16-bit applications but not Operating systems, so yours has to be either 32 or 64 and I might need to know just in case I need you to download an .iso file to get into your system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast