Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Default Beware the rogue Anti Spyware scanner lurks.

Two lawsuits have been filed against Secure Computer LLC, the software company responsible for a rogue antispyware program called "Spyware Cleaner".

Washington State's Attorney-General filed a lawsuit Tuesday in U.S. district court, alleging that the company had violated state and federal antispam laws, as well as state antispyware laws. The suit charges that Secure Computer offered a free scan, which detected spyware that did not exist, then pitched their software to "remove" the spyware

This is not an uncommon practicve in today's virus and spyware filled world.
    Be wary of anyone offering free online scans.
    Most on this site recommend Adaware and/or Spybot. Both are free and both can be regarded as the originators of anti spyware scanners.
    My personal choice is the not so free but worth $US19.95 Spyware Doctor from http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/
    Either way you will get the best available protection from any of these three.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

There are hundreds of so called spyware removal programs... most of them are rogue programs, put out by companies who are just after your money...

They will "find" spyware on your computer, which does not exist, even worse they will tag legitimate files as spyware, and when you remove them, you find programs no longer work.

Before downloading any spyware remover, see if it is classed as Rogue/Suspect on this site :-

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/rogue_anti-spyware.htm

This site also lists the reliable ones...

If it's not listed on the site, be very wary of it.

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

Yes thats right. I was using WinAntivirus 2006 and the thing is that it was always detecting 2 to 4 spyware. Latter i came to know that it was fooling me. There were no such things on my computer. Also the path that the antivirus showed of the infected file was not available. It was slowing down my system too. So i feel better now after removing it.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The number of Rogue/Suspect spyware removers now total more than 270
    The number of Web Sites that make false claims number in the 70's
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.