Default can't locate Java from Control panel

When I ran my SBC online protection anti-virus, I came up with three Java/ByteVerify!exploit viruses. I read the question by pK 3510 on May 27th (currently closed) and followed directions...but when I got to Control Panel, could find no Java program.

I have a Dell computer with Windows XP Professional; don't know how much memory, but a lot. (I have far more computer than my skills...or lack of...need!)

Can you tell me how to find Java so I can follow the rest of the suggestions?

Thanks a lot.

Hi Cara

When you get to the Control panel... the easiest way is to "switch to classic view" ... you should see the java icon then :wink:

If you have any problems deciding what to delete, or questions, feel free to ask

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

Default Can't find Java

Thanks Steam. I love your logo!

Did not work....it just doesn't show up. But of possible interest this is not the first program I "lost" when my son installed XP. Ex. My printer works, but I have not been able to "find" it in any list.

I read in an article that this is not really a virus, but kind of a "warning" to Microsoft users that the security can be breached...so is there really any need to remove right away? Can it wait until my son comes to see me in about 6 weeks?

Any other suggestions?

Cara

Hi

If these are infected appletts, then you should really delete them.

Let's find out your java version first...

Go to Start > Run > type (or better still copy & paste) cmd /k java -version exactly as written with all the

spaces... Click OK

A CMD window will open, write down exactly what it says on the first line & post it here...

Did your SBC online protection anti-virus give you the location of the exploits ?

steam

Default java

This is what came up:

'java' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

This is what is on the virus scan:

the first file is named JavaShimwow.AV

and the location is C:\Documents and Settings\Cara Kelly\LocalSettings\TemparoryInternetFiles\Content.IE5\8ZR3MWP9\java[1].jar,<installing.class

The next three files are all Java/ByteVerify!exploit
    and after the [1].jar they have

NewURLClassLoader.Class

SuperMSClassLoader.Class
    and
    TakePrivileges.Class

That's it. Again I appreciate your help.

Cara

Hi Cara

looks like you may not have sun java installed...

my last post didn't post as well as it could have... this is what you needed to copy & paste into the run box :-

Code:
    cmd /k java -version
    Is that what you did ?

Are they all in this location ?

C:\Documents and Settings\Cara Kelly\LocalSettings\TemparoryInternetFiles\Content.IE5

Because that is not your java cache ...

Is it possible to post the entire log, or did you have to copy it off the screen ?

Do this first anyway...

Please download and run these :-

Download CCleaner from :-

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ (click the download tab)

During the installation be sure to UN-check the box for "Ccleaner Yahoo Toolbar" unless you want it.

doubleclick the ccsetup.exe file and install the program...

After installing, go to Start > programs > CCleaner > Options > Advanced > UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"

Make sure the "windows" tab is selected

Under "internet explorer" tick...

Temporary internet files
    Cookies* > see Note below
    History
    Recently typed URL's
    (leave this unticked if you DON'T want to clear the drop down list in the address window of IE)
    Delete index.dat files
    Last download location
    Autocomplete form history

under "Windows explorer" these are optional, but you can safely tick them all if you wish, they are only "most recently used lists"

Other explorer MRU's
    (leave this unticked if you DON'T want to clear lists such as the start\run list)

under "System"

Tick ALL these ...

under "Advanced"

no need to tick any of these (but you can if you want, and realise what they do)

Applications tab...

These will mostly clean out old log files for these applications...

Clean:- (if you use them)

Firefox/Mozilla (optional - leave the cookies - see note)
    Opera
    Sun Java
    ZoneAlarm

Personally I clean everything in the applications tab... but you tick what you want...

Note: *If there are any cookies you want to keep (if you remove the cookie for a site you require a password for, you will need to re-enter your passward when you next visit that site) ... click options > cookies > then keep the cookies you want.

click "analyse" if you want to see a list of what is going to be removed, before it is removed.

Or

click "run cleaner" to let it get on with it's work... clicking this will result in the following pop-up

"This process will permanently delete files from your system. Are you sure you wish to proceed?"

click OK.

THEN........

Download ewido security suite install, update and run it.

Please set up as :-

1. When installing, under "Additional Options" uncheck "Install background guard" and "Install scan via context menu".

2. Run Ewido --- When you run it for the first time, you may get a warning "Database could not be found!". Click OK. We will fix this in a moment.

3. From the main ewido screen, click on update in the left menu, then click the Start update button.

4. After the update finishes (the status bar at the bottom will display "Update successful")

5. You may need to manually update the definitions which you can get HERE

6. Exit Ewido. DO NOT scan yet.

Boot into safemode...and scan with Ewido

7. Click on the Scanner button in the left menu, then click on Complete System Scan. This scan can take quite a while to run.

8. If ewido finds anything, it will pop up a notification. We have been finding some cases of false positives with the new version of Ewido, so we need to step through the fixes one-by-one. If Ewido finds something that you KNOW is legitimate (for example, parts of AVG Antivirus, AOL pcAnywhere and the game "Risk" have been flagged), select "none" as the action. DO NOT check "Perform action with all infections". If you are unsure of an entry, select "none" for the time being. I'll see that in the log you will post later and let you know if ewido needs to be run again.

9. Once the ewido scan has completed, there will be a button located on the bottom of the screen called Save report.

Important - You need to click "Save report" and Save it to your desktop, or you wont have a log

reboot

post the ewido log

cheers

steam

Default java

Hi Steam! Wow, you went to a lot of work to help me. Yes, I did a cut and paste and that is the same as you resent. I am leaving in the morning for several days, so will close down my computer, and pick up with your directions when I get back on/about the 27th.

Appreciate your help and will get back to you .

Cara

OK Cara

Have a nice holiday

steam