Default resxx/Mcshield.dll

Followed your instructions to the point where LSPfix was downloaded to another PC onto jump drive and moved to the infected laptop which can no longer access the internet. The REMOVE box listed:
    newdotnet7_22.dll

Your instructions said to post the filename and not to attempt to remove it with LSPfix.

Am stranded on an island without a computer until this can be fixed - this posting is from another (working) laptop that is not available after Sunday Noon.

Please respond to this posting (dperras) or email at kperrasATdrc.com for what we should do next. We do have the original McAfee install CD but it will not re-install (it did uninstall OK).

Please go to your start button>control Panel>Add/remove programs>delete NewNet/Newdotnet programs.

Re boot the PC

If you still can't connect, run the LSP program again. Check on the "Finish" button.

BG

BG

Thanks for the quick advice. Tried as directed and was unable to locate anything called 'NewNet/Newdotnet' programs at all when executing the Add/Remove Programs. ALso scanned and could not find them. Should I have just looked for the program (exact name) That the LSP program found when I ran it?

Have to relay this information over the phone my son who's laptop is infected since mine is the only one that works and I will not be back with him until the weekend.

KP

P.S. Are you in Ohio? Flying into Columbus in the AM....

HI

Tell him to run LSPfix again and this click the finish button

Hopefully he will then be able to connect to the internet...

Then we'd like to see a hijackthis log :-

Download a self-extracting copy of HijackThis from :-
    http://downloads.malwareremoval.com/hijackthis_sfx.exe
    1. save it to your Desktop.
    2. Double-click on the file hijackthis_sfx.exe and it will self-extract into its own folder,
    C:\Program Files\HijackThis
    3. Go to this folder and run the hijackthis.exe file
    4. click Do a system scan and save a logfile
    5. Copy & paste the logfile into your next post here...

& also an update of any problems you still have...

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -