Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Startup takes 16 mins after bootup

Last week I installed a yousendit.com plugin and uploaded a 75Mb attachment from within Outlook. The next morning, I had problems with booting up. Eventually I managed to uninstall the plugin. Now whenever I boot up, it takes about 16 minutes before the startup items (AVG and network icons; I've unchecked most programs from the startup list) display in my status bar. If I try to start a program before this is done, the program will sometimes hang. Once the startup is complete, everything works fine. I'm not very technical and would appreciate any advice on what I can do to fix the problem. Many thanks.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

You'll need to stop some of the programs from running at startup. Go to Start > Run > type in msconfig > OK > Startup tab > you'll see a list of programs with boxes with check marks in them ... these are the ones running in background. Un-check the boxes to the programs you don't want running ... if you have a desktop PC , about the only program that need be checked would be anti-virus & firewall, the rest can be opened by clicking the program in Start > All Programs. After unchecking the programs, > OK > you'll be asked to restart your PC, do so. Went the PC boots up again, there'll be a configuration window, check the box in it to 'not show this window again' or words to that effect.
    If you have a hard time figuring out what should be running, list them here and we'll advise you. Keep us posted.

laketowhee,

After finishing up with canucks advice you may also consider a disk clean up and run the disk defragmenter as well- these tools are in xp and they are very useful and increase the performance of xp...

Click Start > programs > Accessories > system tools do disk clean up first, then go back in there and select disc defrag at the top click on (c) now click Defrag this could take a while to do if you have not run it, you may want to disable your screen saver if you use one they may interfere at times.

Next thing is to run a cleaner if you follow up on the posts we can recommend a cleaner to clean temp files, cookies, history, ect.

zep.

Thank you very much, Canuck and Zep. I unchecked most of the programs in startup (but not the ones listed below which I wasn't sure about) and also ran a defrag last night. This morning the startup still took about 16 mins. I have a Dell Latititude D800 laptop running WinXP. I downloaded ccleaner last year after a problem with a trojan and I run it regularly.

NvCpl
    Apoint
    BascsTray
    PRONoMgr
    regsvr32 /s mqrt*
    RUNDLL32
    dumprep -k*
    ctfmon
    Digital Line Detect

*I think these two items appeared recently, after my several attempts at fixing my bootup problem.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Canuck wrote: You'll need to stop some of the programs from running at startup. Go to Start > Run > type in msconfig > OK > Startup tab > you'll see a list of programs with boxes with check marks in them ... these are the ones running in background. Un-check the boxes to the programs you don't want running ... if you have a desktop PC , about the only program that need be checked would be anti-virus & firewall, the rest can be opened by clicking the program in Start > All Programs. After unchecking the programs, > OK > you'll be asked to restart your PC, do so. Went the PC boots up again, there'll be a configuration window, check the box in it to 'not show this window again' or words to that effect.
    If you have a hard time figuring out what should be running, list them here and we'll advise you. Keep us posted.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Zep wrote: After finishing up with canucks advice you may also consider a disk clean up and run the disk defragmenter as well- these tools are in xp and they are very useful and increase the performance of xp...

Click Start > programs > Accessories > system tools do disk clean up first, then go back in there and select disc defrag at the top click on (c) now click Defrag this could take a while to do if you have not run it, you may want to disable your screen saver if you use one they may interfere at times.

Next thing is to run a cleaner if you follow up on the posts we can recommend a cleaner to clean temp files, cookies, history, ect.

Digital Line Detect is for the built in modem, if you don't use your modem, turn it off.

ctfmon , monitors the active windows and provides text input service support for speech recognition, handwriting recognition, keyboard, translation, and other alternative user input technologies. Unless you are changing technologies, ctfmon is useless most people don't need this running.

The pronomgr.exe process is used when diagnosing networking problems with Intel network cards (NICs). If your Intel NIC (Network Interface Card) is working correctly or your NIC is not based on the Intel chipset you should end this process.

"bascstray" is not required to run at start up. Broadcom Advanced Control Suite - for modems and set top boxes based upon Broadcom chipsets. Not required unless you have networking problems

NvCpl - If you wish you can safely disable the
    NVIDIA Display Driver Service as it will have no effect on the
    performance of your NVIDIA driver. I have had this service disabled
    for years with no effect on my NVIDIA video card or driver performance.

Apoint - leave this, it's for your pointing device/touchpad

regsvr32 /s mqrt - see this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...q/default.mspx If this does not apply to you, disable (uncheck)

RUNDLL32 - depends what come after the entry see http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/se...48&search.y=14

dumprep - is not necessary for startup. It is usually run infrequently and can be started manually if needed..

I've disabled everything except Apoint, avgcc, and RunDLL32 (details for the last item as follows):

Startup Item = RunDLL32
    Command = RunDLL32.exe P0620Pin.dll,RunDLL32 EP 513
    Location = HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Should I disable it too?

Many thanks.

p0620pin.dll is an Installation Plug-In from Creative Technology Ltd. There should be no problem in disabling it.

Last night before closing down, I disabled everything except Apoint and avgcc but this morning startup still took 16 mins. Viewing the Startup items, the following item that I had unchecked was checked again:

Start item: NvCpl
    Command: RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup

After all the desktop icons have popped up, the hourglass continues to run for about 14 mins when the cursor is at the status bar. Apart from the touchpad and AVG icons that eventually show up on the status bar, there are also three network icons (Local Area Connection, 1394 Connection, and Wireless Network Connection: I connect wirelessly to different networks in different places).

While waiting for startup to complete, I viewed the Task Manager and nothing seemed to be running (no Applications; Processes showed System Idle Process CPU=99, all other processes CPU=00; CPU Usage 0%)

The NvStartup initializes the clock and memory settings on nVidia based graphics cards. Enable if you overclock your card. So if your not overclocking, try disabling it by going to Control Panel > Administration Tools > Services > Scroll down till you come to the nVidia entry. If there's more than one entry for nVidia , let me know what they are, if only one entry, double click on it, in the opening window, select the drop down menu and click on Manual > OK and close down window(s). Reboot for the change to take effect.

Yesterday and today when I booted up, startup again took 16 mins even though only two items show as checked in the Startup list (Apoint and avgcc). Just now, after Photoshop stopped responding and I managed to close it down, I noticed that ctfmon was checked in the Startup list again. I unchecked and have just rebooted. Again had to wait 16 min for startup to complete; only two items (Apoint and avgcc) display as checked in startup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast