Default How to recover files deleted by trojan?

I previously posted under the topic "Startup takes 16 minutes after bootup" which was locked because I didn't respond to the last post in a timely manner. I apologize for that. We've spent the last fortnight packing up and moving house, so haven't been able to follow up on the last set of suggestions. I now have a different problem which may or may not be related.

As part of moving, yesterday I spent a couple of hours with Verizon DSL tech support (sounded like a call center in India) which included a session where my screen was taken over remotely to install some software to set up an email account. I don't know if this is significant but throw it in just in case.

Anyway, this morning I started to boot up my laptop and walked away briefly (thinking it was going to take 16 mins). When I came back, I noticed that the command prompt window was open (c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe showed in the top bar) and a listing of deleted files was scrolling through rapidly. I quickly closed the window down, unplugged the wireless router, then rebooted (took a couple of tries) and ran a system restore. Most of the installed programs seem to be running okay but files in a few folders have disappeared and Outlook will not open because pst(?)/application data files are missing. Also, when I tried to run a spyware scan, I had a 'windows experienced a fatal error' blue screen.

I don't know whether this is all just part of some major issues with my laptop or due to a trojan, and I don't know where to begin with troubleshooting and fixing. I'm in the middle of various projects that I have to work on and am hoping I can postpone a rebuild (if that's the only solution) till I've got through the next couple of weeks.

My main concern now is recovering some of the deleted files. In the chaos of moving, I haven't run a backup recently. Is there an easy way to recover the deleted files?

Thank you very much for any help.

I have opened your previous thread:

http://www.help2go.com/component/opt...light,/#129677

Please post these comments to your old thread.

BG